Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to define point locations

josh_welterjosh_welter Member Posts: 2
I have a set of coordinates from old drawings.  I don't see an easy way of defining where to place many points to that I spline them later?

These are for lofting so Waterlines and Buttock lines would have been used.
Thanks,

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    If you are creating a spline through points, create a sketch then draw a spline using the same number of points and dimension each point from the origin. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    josh_welterjosh_welter Member Posts: 2
    I am a newbie, but it did not seem that there was an easy way to dimension the spline points.  They showed up on the lower right corner, but disappeared as I moved them.  They were also not editable in that location.  I am probably missing something insanely simple.  Your answer seemed elegant and much simpler than what I was doing.

Currently I am using my AutoCAD to make the shape and then importing into Onshape.  I can take the speadsheet of ordinates copy instructions in for it to draw points, then draw the spline.  Any easy way to do this in Onshape?