Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Labelled dimensions in sketch referencing a table

bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
I would like to generate a family of parts. Is it possible to to label certain dimensions A, B and C etc and reference them to a label in a table, so I can select one specific line in that table to generate a detailed drawing with its corresponding values for A, B and C?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I  am not very sure if I  got your idea. we can create some variable values first , then whatever creating solid features like extrude/ revolve  or sketch , we can define dimensions with these variable .
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I believe the poster is asking is he can set up a range of variants based on a base part.  Then by picking say "Variant A" then all the dimensions update to that variant.

Cody  demonstrated something similar in a webinar on a pattern feature using arrays.  The first array had list of options, the subsequent arrays gave a value based on what was selected from the first one.  I think that would yield what is required here, providing I'm even thinking in the right direction.

Regards,
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I don't believe OS has this functionality yet. In Creo it is called a family table. Each time you insert the part in an assembly, you asked which instance (row of the table) you want to use. Each table row has a common name that you provide so you can know if you are selecting a 404 or a 1208 woodruff key (for instance) when you bring it into an assembly. I would love this option.
  • Options
    Brian has the idea :)
  • Options
    The variant concept is also something I would like to use - I looked in the help but nothing comes up - is there a link to the relevant information?

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    For me it sounds like you're after configurations. Same part but different set of parameters. This feature has not been introduced yet.

But like @owen_sparks remembered, there is a way to set multiple variables by changing one. Similar to choosing a line from an array. But it is only possible by editing that 'config' variable, ie. not possible from assembly or drawings.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/#variable.htm?Highlight=variables --> Using arrays in variables

Onshape is perfectly aware of the need for configurations and some forum messages have leaked that it shouldn't be too far away and that we are allowed to expect something awesome (as usual =)
    //rami