Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawing with demons ions for machinist.

matt_jaymatt_jay Member Posts: 1
Hey all,
I've created a part I will need turned out of aluminum. Seeing how I don't have a lathe in my shop I will have to take my plans to a machine shop. Is there currently any way to export a drawing that has the measurements of everything including the lengths of extrusions. I've seen them before with other cad programs that show several views of the part with measurements of everything. I hope I've explained my question clearly.

Thanks alot

Answers

• Options
    robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    You will need to create the drawing yourself first, there is no way to do it automatically.

To create a drawing of your part, right-click on the part and select "Create drawing of ....", then select a drawing sheet format in the dialog and select the "4-Views" option. This will add a new tab to your document with the drawing in it.

You will then need to add all the dimensions that are required by using the dimension tools.
    When you are finished, you can then print or export the drawing as a PDF (or dwg/dxf).
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    edited August 2016
    @matt_jay  I would test out the idea of sharing someone else in on your design - a vastly better experience than creating a copy of the data and emailing (in my somewhat biased opinion).  The advantages here are numerous... but one thing is that all comments from those people that are shared can be captured and used to make improvements/changes all right here in the document.  Another reason is that you can eventually turn off the share permissions for that user.  This has some advantages over the method of sending a copy of the information out and having no control over where that copied information goes from there.