Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape Slow on Imac 2016

sascha_ettlsascha_ettl Member Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in Community Support
Hello,

In my Company i have a new Imac 2016 4 ghz Quad i7 2gb AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 16 GB Ram.
Onshape runs slow on Rotating an Object. Flash, Shockwave and Java installed.
System is Mac OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan. Internet Speed 10 mbit Down 10 Mbit Up.
Browser Safari

I make the WebGl Test runs fine but in Onshape terrible Performance.

At Home i have a Late 2012 Imac 3.4 ghz 32 Gb Ram 2 Gb Nvidia 680 mx 
System is Mac OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan. Internet Speed 50 mbit Down 10 Mbit Up.
 Flash, Shockwave and Java installed. Also Cuda Driver installed.
Browser Safari

At Home it runs super fine and good.

I dont get it why a newer and better Pc does not run quite as good.

Does it really depends on the Internet Connection?
I mean does Onshape really need so much Mbit?

I really love Onshape.

http://mrdoob.com/#/131/clouds

This is a good Webgl Test with Clouds runs fine.

Answers

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 361
    HI @sascha_ettl. You should be seeing great performance on your new machine. Rotating a graphical view does not require sending messages to our servers, so it is 100% controlled by your graphics performance. If by rotation you mean rotating a manipulator in an assembly, then yes, there are network and server components involved.

Have you tried using Chrome to see if the performance is better?

Can you please open a support ticket and we can take a look at what may be going on with your system?

Thanks
    -John
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    Hello

rotating and editing is really slow.
    at home super good.
    Chrome is blocked at company for download.
    What i also registered was that Mouse selection box is miss alligned and no cube to switch from too to front or so. I'll send a picture.
    Or make a video or gif of it so you can see performance.
  • Options
    Hello i found a Solution what is and how to fix it:

My Imac in Company has 5k but is 2560x1440 but Double Pixel a Retina Resolution so the GPU must calculate 5K.
    When i make the Window smaller it goes smoothly and i also get Top Left etc Cube back on the right side.
    It has i think to do that Webgl and such a Resolution cannot be handeld from Webgl.

On my imac home i have only 2K 2560x 1440 each Pixel single so no Retina Display so the GPU must calculate 2K.

If i Resize the Window smaller it goes fine.

Here also 2 Screenshots one on Full Window witch the Performance is slow and one on smaller where it is fine.

Just check also the full Windows screen where the Orientation Cube always is missing, might be also a Resolution Problem.

And Sorry for my not so good English i am from Austria

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,419
    Hi @sascha_ettl - we added a new capability to help in this situation so you can switch off retina display if you need to - here is an excerpt from the what's new from 3 weeks ago:

ENVIRONMENT PROFILE SETTINGS

You can now store hardware-specific graphics preferences for different combinations of computer and browser. This is useful if you have a computer with a high pixel density display and you want to use a lower resolution for better performance. You can let Onshape determine the best setting for you or you can force or disable high pixel density support. Go to Manage Account, then Preferences.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI