Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketching in strange places

I am finding myself at times needing to have a sketch plane where no convenient face exists.
I have been doing a cumbersome work around by creating a cube, then transforming to the correct location and orientation and then starting a sketch with the face of the cube as my sketch plan.
This feels very cumbersome.
Is there a way to do this better?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Can you not create a plane where you need it? Planes can be offset, rotated, created parallel at a point, etc. Worst case, you would have to create 3 extra features total: a location sketch, construction plane, orientation sketch, final plane. In most cases you can likely get away with 1 or 2 extra features aside from the goal plane itself.