Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing .DWG or .DXF

alex_lototzkyalex_lototzky Member Posts: 5
edited September 2016 in Community Support
Hi, I have been in the migration phase of onshape testing out the feature and learning how to sketch and model. I like it.
Now I have started to bridge the gap between the archives and onshape and ran into the first speedhump.
I used Autocad 2011 (and 2016) and find that files, both .dxf and .dwg are not importing in any usefull way.
I found some threads in the forum about this that are dated 2015, and can only assume that this is still not fixed!
This is a rather major hole for me (and I imagine many others)

One of my major production partners also uses Autocad. I am yet to test an onshape exported file on them.

I have to say my confidence is shaken.
Is there a work around or is there feverish activity to plug this feature hole in onshape?

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,419
    both .dxf and .dwg are not importing in any useful way.

Hi Alex, can you be a bit more specific? If you import a DXF or DWG it will create a drawing. If you want to build a 3D model of it, create a sketch and use the Import DWG/DXF button in sketch.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    alex_lototzkyalex_lototzky Member Posts: 5
    Oh I feel like a fool. I have just watched the import DWG and DXF vids on Onshape on Youtube and its all clear now.