Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Boolean Subtract: different behaviour

mlml Member Posts: 53 PRO
I intend to cut out a front plate for some connectors (of an electronic board)

So I imported the board with the connectors into a part studio and unioned there all together into only one part for an easier handling (all stays together) of it as a whole later in another part studio when mating.
The cylinder (blue) of a connector is also part of this (seen in the second part studio):

Now I would like to boolean-subtract it:

does not work.

ok.

because I was earlier able to do this, I've tried it this way round:
let the cylinder in the first part studio beside, and add the sketch and extrude in the second one (where mating):

this time the subtract works:

as expected, using the same settings of the boolean. 

but why? I am not aware of the specific design flow. Just thought it would be better to handle the board and its relations in one part studio and do the mating, subtracting in another to separate the tasks for a clear distinction.

thanks for any hint.
4.png 18.2K
2.png 51.8K
1.png 54.9K

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,414
    What is the error message when you hover over the red dialog title? The offset is trying to offset every face of the board so it is probably failing there.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    mlml Member Posts: 53 PRO

but did not select any face... (I think)

without 'offset all' it works while selecting the specific face:

0.png 73.3K
    5.png 88.5K