Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating datums in drawing, when there are no reference elements of value?

lloyd_snelllloyd_snell Member Posts: 23 PRO
I have created a part that has no external features for establishing a datum (B) in a top view. I have found no way to bring the part datums into the drawing, which seems like that should be an absolute. Seriously, how do you transfer design intent with out reference to the model datums? Hidden lines are not selectable in the drawing as far as I can tell. Referencing the datum (B) on the reference view (Front view) for dimension targets does not work. Therefore, I have no means to identify/define a datum and correctly dimension a part view. Any ideas for the work around?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    Do you mean an actual datum used for manufacturing/inspection, or a datum plane? If the datum feature is hidden, how would it be accessed for inspection purposes? Would a section view help? 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    A datum is a datum. Used to design, and used to manufacturer. A section works for showing the internal features. But the features on the top have no such reference and no datum can be established. I need the same datum to that the section would have to dimension the top, and bottom feature. Does that make sense? 
  • Options
    Agree, I can share the part file whenever. Just let me know.