Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

STL and OBJ imports not showing up

Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
I'm testing out importing STL and OBJ files.  They seem to import fine (don't report any errors, and say Translation completed), but most of the time I'm not getting an actual mesh file, rather only a tab for the imported file that says No preview available.

I've tried importing STL files as ASCII and binary STL.  Does it matter?
Do the imported meshes have to be manifold, solid, have correctly oriented normals, zero intersecting triangles, etc, etc.?
What are the requirements that allow a STL or OBJ to actually show up as a mesh, vs just getting a tab that says No preview available?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    It may take a little longer for the files to actually translate into something Onshape can use. When this happens you will see a tab appear next to the title tab (which is what you are seeing). If nothing imports please file a feedback ticket and share the document with Onshape support so we can take a closer look and help out.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    So after it imports and says Translation is complete and a tab shows up that says No preview available, but if I keep waiting another tab might show up later with the mesh?  How long might that be?  Am I understanding what you said correctly?

I'll open a ticket shortly and share a file.  Thank you.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    So after it imports and says Translation is complete and a tab shows up that says No preview available, but if I keep waiting another tab might show up later with the mesh?  How long might that be?  Am I understanding what you said correctly?

I'll open a ticket shortly and share a file.  Thank you.
    Once the translation is complete it should show up as a new tab.  Please file a ticket so that our support can take a look.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
  • Options
    I appreciate the info @ye_2
    I'll keep my eye out for updates.