Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to extrude off of a curved face of an imported .step file part?

cael_liakos_gilbertcael_liakos_gilbert Member Posts: 1 PRO
edited November 2016 in Community Support
I am trying to make a cap/cover for a particular part that has a curved surface. I received a .step file of the part and am trying to build off of it by selecting the face and extrude --> new to create the cover matching the curved geometry of the original part, but onshape wont let me. 

Its curious, I can select all of the flat, geometric surfaces and extrude off of those, but not the curves for some reason. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Extrudes need planar faces (not curved) or a sketch regions as input.  It should be possible to create a plane and extrude up to part or face.  The 2nd direction allows some interesting results as well...
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,421
    Have you tried thicken?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI