Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Hollow Settings (hollowing and extrusion)

tom_morttom_mort Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
I have a rectangular extrusion and want to hollow it.  I'm trying to figure out the settings on the hollow tool control.

I need specific inside dimensions and I see where I can set the thickness of the walls and I read that I can toggle between having the wall thicknesses subtracted or added to the original  dimensions of the triangle.

I don't recall now where or what this toggle was, but, I think it was on arrow.  I don't really see any changes on my drawing or a way to dispaly what the inside dimensions actually turned out to be.

Can someone clarify this a little?

TIA

Answers

• Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Can you make your document public so we can see what you are trying to do? 

If you cant, try modeling the internal volume of your part and use a Boolean subtract. Or use the Transform -> Scale uniformly option and Boolean the results as desired.
    Support & QA
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    I recognize this screen with the shell thickness setting and the opposite direction arrow, but, that is sort of what I am asking.  I don't know what happens if I toggle the arrow or a way to see what the actual dimensions will be on the inside of the shell.

Does the setting above mean if I set my extrusion to have dimensions of  x + 2*2.5 by y + 2*2.5 that the inside dimensions of the shell will be x by y?

Is there some way to show a view of the part where all the dimensions are automatically labeled a visible?

PS - I don't see a way to set up this post to have email notification that there has been a reply???
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    @tom_mort The arrow literally flips the direction of the shell - default is to create a hollow part, so if your sketch is x wide, y high, the outside dimensions will stay x by y. Flip the arrow to remove the extrude volume and add material to the outside. The interior is now x by y and the outside is x+5 by y+5. If you right click the sketch in the feature list you can select "show dimensions", but they are only temporary graphics.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    OK, that clarifies things.  Thanks
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO

PS - I don't see a way to set up this post to have email notification that there has been a reply???
    You can set notification settings in the Account Options / Preferences - gear icon in upper right corner.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Thanks, I found it later. I was expecting to see it at the bottom of the form I posted.