Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Copying a workspace = losing in-context relationships??

Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 273 PRO
edited March 2017 in Community Support
Is this supposed to happen? 

I have a workspace and made a copy of it then noticed I was no longer able to update my in-context parts. 

I did a few quick tests.  

Start
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6d4c24383d6457e4cf5d486f/w/06b163bb37476333aae1cc9a/e/f9440e2253e5cad3447880b1

Copy
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/58b61a93d2d73c0f795d4eab/w/b640c9a58b5734bd9d13bc27/e/c1efe4cdc1e1a6a0c43978db

The part studios still show the context references but in the assembly where I created the parts, the arrow is gone and I can no longer updated the context.

Is this a glitch, or by design?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
     Please report this using feedback tool so you will be notified when this is fixed. 

Done. And I put a link to this thread in the feedback. 
  • Options
    FIXED!!

Thanks OS

Hi Tony,

Onshape has been updated to address your ticket:

"COPYING A WORKSPACE = LOSING IN-CONTEXT RELATIONSHIPS"

This update (1.60.18034.9abfb11f67a7) has been pushed to cad.onshape.com and and is live for all users of Onshape. This version is displayed at the bottom of the Documents page or by clicking the ? menu and selecting About.

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    29 days, they must do better than that ;)

In my experience that is about same time where you get answer from other cads support - then they may include fix in next years version or the one after that (which you, of course, need to pay for).
    Except for Geomagic Design - that can go for over a year (and counting) without an update.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @michael3424
    Don't hold your breath, I have case with GD that has begun about 10 years ago.. and counting =)
    I once got them interested when posted whole case history on forums few years ago, but that interest faded pretty fast - without fix.
    //rami
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad - Max Freeman popped up in the forum a couple weeks ago for a few minutes but he's moved on from GeoMagic to another company now.  On a whim, I created a poll to see who was dropping GMD support and it had a lot more replies than expected.  It's very striking to see the difference in support between Onshape here and on GMD's forum.  The latter has almost so significant corporate presence at all and bugs go years with out being fixed, while Onshape is here daily and bug fixes are made available within hours to days of being reported.