Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Wiring error

scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
I am trying to create wires for the first time.   I place about 5 points on a plane in a sketch along the path I want the wire to follow.  I then select the wire tool and select the points.  I get the following error (wire did not regenerate properly.  Result of sweep intersects itself,adjust path of profile sections.) and the wires don't generate.  No matter where I place points I get the same error.  This does not mean anything to me so I don't understand how to make this work.  Thanks. 
Tagged:

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi Scott, the wiring feature has just been updated. Can you please try this new feature instead and let us know if it fixes your problem? https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6dff8f67e2ef0b33193a10d2/w/ad1dd98bb99d14ca27c2eb74/e/0904f1281fabe33fcdd58945
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @scott_caskey the wire feature (both new and old versions) try to create the wire normal to the plane(s) that the start and end points live on. If your start and end points live on the same plane, then the wire will try to pop up straight from the plane, then you force it back down to the through-points on your plane, then back up and down again to hit the end point.

Long story short, your wire is failing because the start and end points live on the same plane. Try creating planes and sketching your start and end points on them. The wire will start and end normal to those planes.
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
    I created two planes that are parallel, sketched two points one on each and tried the wiring tool...doesn't do anything.  Is there a tutorial on wiring I can't find one.  The help is non-existent for this too. 

• scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
    I think I got if figured out.  The fact that you have to create offset planes for the wire pass-through points was where I was failing.