Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

slow graphics (sometimes...)

OliverOliver Member Posts: 3
Hello,

I am having some performance problems with rotating, panning, and zooming the 3D view (Chrome 42.0.2311.90 on MAC-OSX Mavericks). The performance varies between really fast (like local graphics) to incredibly slow. Could this be a server side problem or is it more likely a problem on my side? Today was the first day I noticed it, but I haven't been using OnShape for about ten days before. Generally I am not doing any heavy duty work -- just a few very simple 3D parts. I tried Safari and Firefox, but the problem was the same.

Best regards,
Oliver

Answers

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Rotating, panning, and zooming are operations that take place on the client (i.e. your machine).

Does this happen after fully quitting chrome and restarting it?  I've had issues in the past where chrome had crashed, didn't free up the memory associated with it, and caused jerky behavior until I restarted it.  If that doesn't fix it, can you send us a screenshot (ctrl + u or "Feedback" in the help drop down) while modeling so we can get an idea of what the graphics look like?
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    After a restart of Chrome the problem stays. I have sent the screenshot, but the graphics are really really simple...
  • Options
    I tried a few WebGL demos I could find and they all run smoothly on the same computer and browser -- OnShape, however, is incredibly slow.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Oliver I have ticketed the request.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    steven_buxtonsteven_buxton OS Professional Posts: 6 PRO
    edited April 2015
    I would like to add that I have been having the same issues.  And I have seen it go from fast to slow to fast within a few minutes.  Nothing going on on my local machine.

The issue is worse when I am hooked up to my thunderbolt display.  Issue exists in both Chrome and Safari.  It has gotten so bad today that I just gave up and went back to Geomagic for this part as OS was unusable.
  • Options
    Michel_StormsMichel_Storms Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Same here. Want to migrate from Fusion 360 so badly because of the cloud setup and iOS apps, but I am held back by horrible performance on the Mac side. I have a Late-2012 Mac mini, 2.5ghz core i5, 16gb ram, 2x256gb SSD raid setup. This machine is very fast with Fusion 360, Rhino for Mac, and also in Parallels with SolidWorks. Tried with Safari, Chrome and Firefox. Chrome gave the best performance, while Firefox started slowing down the whole machine. The worst thing is, I get the best performance in a Windows 10 VM in Parallels with Microsoft Edge browser... I hope these problems get solved, I really want to use Onshape 100% of the time and introduce it at work, but as it is now I don't even dare to mention the name at work...
  • Options
    I captured 2 videos, with my phone to not have them influenced by a screencast application. First is Onshape, running on Safari (Chrome is only slightly better, and since we're on a Mac, Safari SHOULD work, no excuses) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0i684krh4gvlla/Performance - Onshape.m4v?dl=0 . The second is Fusion 360, same drawing of the printer frame but in a more advanced state : https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qf5qvkawh1liqm/Performance - Fusion360.m4v?dl=0 . As you see, there is a noticeable difference in performance, and it really shouyld be the other way around. To rule out all doubts, I include a picture of the Mac's info : 

This should be beefy enough, right? My performance with SolidWorks in Parallels tells me so. 

Last but not least, my result from speedtest.net : 

(Yes, my IP is included to show that I am genuine. Have fun with it. )

So internet connection problems are ruled out too, right?

I really want this Onshape thing to work, I am always the first to embrace new technologies, even is it has to be the hard way in the early days, but in its current state, Onshape is just unusable for me... :(

• Options
    edited October 2015
    To not be completely negative, the IOS app is awesome and very usable on n iPhone (could use landscape mode though). Maybe a native app for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux is the way to go, with the option to run in a browser for the people who prefer to do so. If t is just not acceptable to tell users to 'use Chrome' to mask performance issues.
  • Options
    stephen_brzykcystephen_brzykcy Member Posts: 4
    Did this ever get addressed? I am having similar issues on a 2012 mini with 2.5ghz i5 processor and 16gb ram, it is slow and problematic. Also, when I right click+drag to rotate the model (an imported CATpart created on Catia v5) it does not rotate but instead draws a yellow box and gives a spinning wheel symbol in the lower center of the page and does not complete, I have to go back to my OS projects list page and open the project again and start over. The only way I am able to rotate is through the arrows around the view cube.. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    stephen_brzykcystephen_brzykcy Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2016
    I discovered the mouse right button was set up for shift+click, so I am able to rotate by just right button+drag now.

But if I try to make any yellow box selection it still freezes the sketch (with the spinning circle), so that is still an issue.
  • Options
    matt_miller289matt_miller289 Member Posts: 6
    Add me to this list . . . weird thing is that last night Onshape was working perfectly fine. I login first thing this morning and notice that the sign-in process took abnormally long. Then I click on a document to work on and it's extremely slow . . . when I go to drag, rotate, or zoom none of those actions are immediate like they used to be, instead they take between 2-5 seconds before the action even begins. I tried clearing out my browser history, cache, etc. and then restart my Mac but it's still lagging a lot. The lag is so bad now that I can no longer work on it in Onshape, so I am going to wait until tomorrow and if it's still lagging I'll have to export a parasolid file from Onshape and continue the rest of the project in Solidworks.

My Mac Specs:

My internet speed test:

Anything going on at onshape that might be causing the service to moving along so slowly?
  • Options
    matt_miller289matt_miller289 Member Posts: 6
    Just talked to our IT guy about this and he mentioned that some sites are experiencing sluggishness due to the DDoS attack occurring now. Any chance this is affecting Onshape?

Map of the current DDoS attack:
  • Options
    jesse_davis328jesse_davis328 Member Posts: 1
    Nov 4, 2016.  Slow is not the word for it.  Glacial is more appropriate.  It is unusable.  I use GeoMagic.  I would say that GeoMagic is several hundred times faster.  It is not my internet connection.  Everything else is normal.  It is interesting that the Onshape tutorial videos play fine in one tab but the part drawing in the next window over (both tabs are in the same browser window) is super slow.