Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Inch export units for STEP files

fred_lauzusfred_lauzus Member Posts: 4
I am trying to export a part modeled in inch units as a STEP file. When I import it into another system the part is always in millimeters. I do not have this issue when importing inch STEP files from other systems. Can this be addressed in Onshape?

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    Fred,

I tried testing a few different ways to try and get the part to export in mm. But when I open the file all the coordinates are in inches.
    I've tried setting workspace units to mm, and default units in account settings. And the exported file is always displaying inch coordinates.

when importing into solidworks or autodesk  viewer, the model is the proper size.

What system are you importing into?
  • Options
    fred_lauzusfred_lauzus Member Posts: 4
    John,

I am importing into Siemens NX. The model is the proper size after import but the unit for the file defaults to millimeters.

I can see internally the units used in the exported STEP file always appear to be meters, regardless of the workspace units used. NX only supports inch and millimeter units and the units are file specific. Upon recognizing the internal units in the STEP file as being metric NX scales the part to millimeters.

• Options
    tyler_popetyler_pope Member, Developers Posts: 21 PRO
    stp files have units built into them so you shouldn't have to change anything from one CAD system to the next. I believe Onshape is always in meters in the background but that shouldn't matter when exporting. 

I said shouldn't twice just so you know that I could be wrong.