Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What wrong with my variable? (new to Onshape)

guy_payeurguy_payeur Member Posts: 2
I am testing Variables an tried to use it on a dimension that measure the distance between construction lines with several constraints:

Like you can see, I am not able to use the variable SecW, it is red colored.

You can have a look by yourself here : https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c11a0a79541ebdc42d826896/w/edecf49e09b47f2d44ddf365/e/eb8919f3c9e66a722d132d9b

The dimension is Driving the distance and when I type a number the drawing adjust itself like expected.

Thank you
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    you can't use variable in feature that is located in feature tree before variable defenition

Answers

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    you can't use variable in feature that is located in feature tree before variable defenition
  • Options
    guy_payeurguy_payeur Member Posts: 2
    Many Thanks!  Make sense after all. I reordered my variable just before the sketch where I was trying to use it. Just struggled a bit to do that on my tablet :smiley:.

As you can see, the variable name was now accepted in the dimension value.

To reorder the feature, I used the small clock icon with a circular arrow to the left.

Your answer really untie my understanding of that behavior for features.

Best regards