Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Issues with drawing on plane

isaac_oneilisaac_oneil Member Posts: 15
edited April 2018 in Community Support
I attached my step by step attempt to draw a plane in my parts studio. I am having lots of issues with designing in context on both sides as it wont let me create a plane whose center point is a set distance away from the plane and whose edges are equal distance from part 1 and part 2's sides. I don't know if I designed each part correct or incorrectly to allow this to happen. Any and all insight to help is greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.  My security won't let me open the zip.  If you're happy to do so a link to the document would be more helpful.  People can then do the fix and save it so you can see what they did.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    Cannot open the mht file anyway (??) Copy and the paste the link to your public document.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    I have attached a link to the document and thanks to @NeilCooke I have attached a .gif of my issue.

After doing much research I think its because I am selecting a fillet (I think that's what it is) and because of the way it joins two different planes, as a result I am unable to draw on it. I also have an issue creating a plane based off of it too.

Link to document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8b6da23130a9dee535af0c96/w/f34a388fedf1c58e1269dcd5/e/1bd626987427970ee174e87b
  • Options
    If you can't create a plane it's not planar
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    There are however many ways to skin a cat. What are you trying to model?
  • Options
    The end goal is to build a custom PC in a desk. I have contacted a company that is capable of making flexible displays, and I am trying to CAD out the design v1 for them so that they can say yes or yes but modify here or just no. The semi transparent screens would be over the part 1 and part 2 of the desk as well as part 3. The center area will be capable of tilting like a draft table and I will have monitor mounts coming off the backside. The table top will be height adjustable and the base will contain a small server rack to host well servers switches etc. That's the big picture, but first is learning how to CAD this out. I have also contacted a company who is capable of making a custom PC's, I just have to spring it on them that its more desk and less PC...