Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how can i use a piece as a hole

ben_haaseben_haase Member Posts: 1 EDU
I Have a piece that I need in a honey comb pattern. I want only the honeycomb pattern showing. I made the piece and a reverse honeycomb piece to use as a hole through my piece leaving only the honeycombed piece left but I can't figure out how to make the reverse honeycomb a hole. HELP????????????????????    

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    With boolean subtract you can use your part to make a hole. Please share a link to your document for community to be able to help further.
    //rami
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Ben,

Sounds like you could use Boolean with the 'subtract' option using your honeycomb-negative as the 'tool' and the solid piece as your 'target'
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/booleanparts.htm

The 'Hole' tool is a more specific tool that is used for drilling circular holes in a part.

You may also need to pattern your negative before you subtract? It matters if the tool is one tool that you want to subtract many times or just a thing that you want to subtract once.  In any case, it will be easier to solve your problem if you make your document public and post the URL here so we can see what's going on.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team