Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Samsung DEX

BStumpBStump Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
Will OnShape run in a Samsung DEX full screen?  How well does OnShape perform on a Samsung DEX?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    No idea. Presumably it runs Android? Then you will have to run the Android app - don't know if keyboard and mouse will work with it though. Can you go to your local store and try it?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Sorry I did not answer when you asked this in the webinar (it was you right?).  I did not know what a Samsung DEX was.  Just looked at it online.  Very cool.  Yes Onshape Android should work great on it.  I would not see any reason why it would not.
  • Options
    Yes that was me on the Webinar asking.

Yes the DEX is cool and I am considering using it for at home as I need to replace my Desktop and I do 95% of everything on my phone now.  This Friday I have someone into the office to go over it along with an number of related technologies.  I will try it then.

The reason I ask is you can optimize apps for the DEX so they run full screen like MS has does for MS Office for Samsung Dex.  From what I hear non-optimized apps run is a smaller window and wont go to full screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxLJ5twX7hs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bObeTwFN9yA 

• Options
    Thanks Kale.

I am receiving one in the next couple days and i will test it with the rest of my tools.
  • Options
    kale_ckale_c Member Posts: 4
    No problem. If there's something you want me to try testing before you get yours just let me know. It is really quite useful to be able to model something on the Dex with a full monitor, keyboard and mouse, and then take it with you on-the-go with the mobile app. If you are considering using Dex it is worth trying out apps, but if some don't seem optimized yet also keep in mind there are so many good browser based apps like Onshape. For instance I don't have a office 365 subscription so Word and Excel are read-only, but Google docs works great through the browser.
  • Options
    kale_ckale_c Member Posts: 4
    The Onshape android app doesn't maximize on Dex BUT it runs well using Chrome with 'desktop site' checked. Very very similar to running it on pc. 
  • Options
    Thanks Kale.  Maybe you can test the connection to a remote desktop machine and see how that runs?  i will mostly be on the Dex but some on a desktop as some programs are desktop only.  my accounting program is web based but the desktop app version is more robust than the browsee version.  Same with Evernote.  I will be trying out my simulation software I use with onshape as well.