Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Collaboration - Not working

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Community Support
I've invited a client to share a model, he's received the invitation, he got the email showing a picture of the model, he clicked through and got a window showing the icons across the top (eg at top right, he's got his name, and immediately left of that, the "Help" icon) 

and in the main body of the window, a (presumably live) view of the correct model. The name of the model is correct, and (like me) he's seeing the "Main" workspace. There is not another model in my directory with the same or similar name, and the only similar model is shared only with Support.

HERE'S MY PROBLEM:  neither he nor I have the little circular coloured icon with each other's initial near the top right ... which means I can't get him to double click on that, so he can "Follow" the presentation I was going to walk him through.

He's had to go to another commitment but he's back in an hour or so

In the meantime, he has left the session open so I can see if collaboration starts to work.

I have tried all the sharing options from my end (eg "Can edit & share", "Can view & comment" etc) with no result, but at present have reverted to "Can view" only.

(I didn't think to check that he was not in Internet Explorer - but presumably if he was, the CAD document would have refused to open)

Does anybody have experience of this problem, and can you point me towards a solution?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Can you copy the URL that you are on and send it to him directly?  The only thing I can think of is that you are in a different workspace somehow.  Sending the URL should get him in the same location as you.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    Andrew

Would you care to share it with me and we can see what happens. dmsohlATtdsDOTcom

Dave

David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    @jakeramsley : Thanks, will try that tomorrow & report back (He's out of his office now for the rest of the day)

@david_sohlstrom: Will try that now. Thanks
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    You cannot follow when the user is view only. The current implementation places a view only user on their own temporary workspace. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    OK nothing so far

David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
    Andrew 
    Are you hilighting the doc on your home page and then clicking on the share button and entering my email address. dmsohl@tds.net
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
    lougallo said:
    You cannot follow when the user is view only. The current implementation places a view only user on their own temporary workspace. 
    OK, Lou
    I'm not sure that's the problem here because (as I mentioned) I tried all modes, but it might pay to mention that in Help, and ideally a message on that limitation would also pop up when you select "View only"
    Does this limitation apply also to "View and comment"?
    edited May 2015

OK nothing so far

Hmm - I got a notification immediately on sharing it (something I DIDN'T get with my other user)
    saying (with your tds email address carefully unmunged)

<<You recently shared document Pirouette with <>. We emailed the information <> need to get started with Onshape.
    Created at 3:02 PM Today

ON EDIT

I did do what you describe, except that my route to it was from the browser web page within which I created the document I want to share.

It brings up the same dialogue box as I get when I RMB on that file in the "My Documents" list (which I presume is what you mean when you say "Home page")

Your address appears in the list of people that document is being shared with, whichever way I arrive at the list.
    Andrew

Is it 3;02 PM Wednesday for you.
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
    edited May 2015
    Andrew

Is it 3;02 PM Wednesday for you.
    No, but it was when I shared the file with you  :)
    New idea: I will try rebooting my Chromebook
    OK well it is Tuesday here. I wonder if that has something to do with it . Try sending me just an email.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
    Just had a fairly inconclusive session with the kind help of @david_sohlstrom : the initial document I shared with him (from within the document modelling page) never worked, but he was able to share one of his documents with me. I was able to see it rotate when I was following him, but he was not when he followed me.

At his suggestion, I cancelled sharing my document with him, and reshared it, from the RMB menu for the same document on the "My Documents" page.

This time, he DID see the document, and could see view manipulations when he followed me (but not if I used the mouse, only if I used keyboard shortcuts).

When he manipulated the view with me following, the manipulations did not take effect on my display, regardless of whether he used mouse or keyboard.

About the only thing that (as far as I could tell) worked throughout was the Comments facility.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @andrew_troup Not sure what you are seeing (or not seeing) but please share this with support so we can see if there is something about the document.  Is it owned by an organization?  I will take a look once you send me a share.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Lou
    Thanks. Have shared with support, not owned by an organisation

lougallo said:

Lou
    Does this limitation apply also to "View and comment"?