Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Moment of Inertia

I have a requirement to calculate the planer moment of inertia of a planer geometry.
Can this be implemented? 

Answers

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @stephen_saint_vincent I've created a ticket for you and tied you to that improvement in Onshape.  
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @stephen_saint_vincent -

After a physics refresher last night, I offer the following;

First Moment of Inertia (also known as Mass Moment of Inertia) describes a body's resistance to acceleration about an axis. The units are ML^2.
    This is the value that we calculate for various axes and is accessible via the measure tool in the bottom right hand corner of the screen

Second Moment of Inertia (also known as the Area Moment of Inertia) describes a body's resistance to bending. The units are M^4.
    This is calculated for a 2 dimensional (planar) face.

The two properties are different physically and have different units and there is no relationship between the two (ie cannot be converted).

We are looking into other ways to get this for you, but for now know that we have recorded your enhancement request.

Thank you.

Image result for second moment of area
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977