Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

line ends not connected at DXF import

bepbep Member Posts: 3
I unfolded a Sketchup volume and exported it as a 2D DXF.
I sucesfuly imported is as a DXF into a Onshape sketch.
Now i want to dimension this line drawing ,and chanche the line lenghts.
But somehow the lines ends dont seem to be connected anymore.
Is there a function in Onshape to conect all these line ends at once?

Best Answer

Answers

• bepbep Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your quick response.
    I wil do a inprovement request.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    To fix your sketch: select two points and use keyboard shortcut ' i ' to add coincident constraint quickly.
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    To fix your sketch: select two points and use keyboard shortcut ' i ' to add coincident constraint quickly.
    Good stop-gap (Ha! unintentional ) measure, @3dcad
    However it is tedious, and your "select two points"step requires painstaking accuracy) # ...

... in the specific dxf import situation we were discussing. where the two points are co-located, but not constrained to be coincident.

# It is not currently possible (hint hint) to box-select such points. The only ways I know:

Method 1) Drag away the 'topmost' endpoint (which will slew the line or arc) and without releasing, drag it back so it snaps to the underlying point

Method 2) Click accurately on the topmost point. Check the point alone is highlighted, not the entity (line or arc) Note the numeral "1" showing only one point is selected. If necessary, reposition the mouse (if it moved slightly due to first click)
    Now click again, check points alone are highlighted, check numeral now shows "2".  Now hit the shortcut "i" key 

Now try THAT on your trackpad or touch screen!

There could easily be hundreds of pairs of points in a dxf or dwg imported sketch, and neither method holds much appeal (for me) in such situations.

----

There are a bunch of issues to do with the endpoints of adjacent entities.
    The "Constraints Manager" question, for instance, is probably just a visible portion of an iceberg.

I'm encouraged that Onshape do not yet seem to have painted themselves into any corners, but I urge them to devote some real high-end talent and focus on getting this right - which will no doubt require some inspired guesswork as to what the future might hold.
    To all: Please upvote @3dcad's post if you agree
    OK, in spite of his saying he would file an improvement request, it seems the OP has not done so.

So I just did. If you support this, please go and vote for "Ability to box-select entity endpoints"
  • bepbep Member Posts: 3
    Thank you andrew,
    I just could not findout how to properly make an impovement request until now. :blush: 
    Bep
    @bep
    I absolutely sympathise: I find it a labyrinth in here
    The forum is behaving even worse than usual for me these last few days; which may or may not be linked with the improvement request I filed on your behalf still not having come up in the forum, but it is seemingly active in zendesk, hopefully the link below will take people there

(zendesk sometimes feels to me like a parallel universe - I'm never sure how to get there and when I do I"m not entirely confident I can make it back alive)

https://onshape.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/205203098-Ability-to-box-select-entity-endpoints
  • ts_2ts_2 Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2015
    I'm havning the same issue.  Import DXF,   and some of my lines are connected, and randomly it seams, some letters are not joined.  I've resaved the dxf from Inkscape (vector editing program)  and the letters change.   Editing points that lye ontop each other but are not coincident is extremely frustrating and basically useless.  There needs to be a tool that allows user to select all points and WELD them to each other if they are ontop each other.
  • gal_angelgal_angel Member Posts: 1
    This needs more focus , My imports are impossible to fix 200+ vertices by hand
    Its super important IMHO.
    also maybe someone could write a script using the new feature script to make the WELDing of all touching points