Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - November 20, 2014

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
Another update day is here and I can't wait to show you some of these improvements. This update introduces our first 3D native curve and brings a number of visual tools and requested improvements.  Enjoy...
Highlights:
  1. Graphical section views for part studios and assemblies

2. New display modes (Hidden edges visible, Shaded with hidden edges, Shaded with without edges)

3. Translucency of parts is now integrated into the Appearance editor

4. A new Translucent view has been added (in leu of the previous Wireframe view)

5. New output precision controls for STL exports

6. A new Helix tool has been added and can be defined by either a cylinder or cone selection. (NOTE: the new helix tool will only be available in new documents and will show up in existing documents in the next day or so.)

7. Mass properties in Assemblies

8. User profile now has first and last name fields (current name is now your nick name/handle)

Now go test them out!  We are excited to hear your feedback and keep the improvement requests coming!  ~Lou
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• Mark_SandersMark_Sanders Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Neat !  all going in a great direction.

I'd love to use OS for some live project work .. but need surface type tools (consumer products, injection mouldings, swoopy yet accurate stuff :-)  .. any news ? dates ?

I'm just reading 'insanely simple' by Ken Segal (about deep apple philosophy) .. and whilst its a good target to get 'simplicity for the enduser' it takes a lot of work 'under the hood' .. just like nature really !

So guys, Keep up the good work  B) 
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Some nice new features there. Helix. Now we are talking...assuming you can place a plane normal to the end of the curve?
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    @KevinQuigley‌
    When creating a plane use the curve-point plane type and voila! Normal to end :)
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Really nice updates! They're going in crescendo.

I also noticed a bug fix for volume (mass properties) in one of my documents.

Dries
  • Steen_WintherSteen_Winther Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Great stuff! Christmas came early  :D
  • Jimmy_BarreraJimmy_Barrera OS Professional Posts: 7 PRO
    Output STL parameters is going to be huge for us.  Being a 3D Printing service provider, we're constantly putting out STLs.  Looking forward to using this!  Thanks.