Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

how to import stl files

kylekyle Member Posts: 1
how do you import stl files on onshape

Best Answer

Answers

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @kyle Currently we do not import STL or any other polyhedrons at this point.  I have added you to the request.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • CouvelightsCouvelights Member Posts: 1
    I would also like the ability to import STL files...
  • timo_friedrichtimo_friedrich Member Posts: 1
    I also need this feature, including scaling factor.
  • rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    I also need this feature, including scaling factor.
    We can currently scale using the Transform->(Change type) Scale uniformly. Is there another scale feature you're looking for?
  • nkvollnkvoll Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to get notified when STL import is implemented?
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nkvoll said:
    Good question, and indeed there is. If you raise a feedback ticket from the ? menu in any Onshape CAD window, and make a request for STL import, the ticket will be updated when the capability is rolled out, and you will  indeed be notified.

I have the strong impression it is possible to change the notification options, including requesting email notification (rather than just a flag when logged into Onshape). However I cannot just now rediscover where that setting lives, so it's possible I have transplanted, in RAM, a recently discovered capability of another program onto OnS. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.
    nkvoll said:
    <snip>
    I have the strong impression it is possible to change the notification options, including requesting email notification (rather than just a flag when logged into Onshape). However I cannot just now rediscover where that setting lives, so it's possible I have transplanted, in RAM, a recently discovered capability of another program onto OnS. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.
    OK, I now understand the situation better, or at least, I think I do!

As I suggested above, users are AUTOMATICALLY notified by email when a ticket is commented on by Onshape support, and of course this normally includes when a request is implemented. 

I was not imagining the opt-out email notifications mentioned in the quoted post above, but I had misunderstood the extent of their applicability. They are currently purely for forum comments and Personal Messaging, and for when people "write on your wall" (whatever and wherever that may be!)

The optional email notifications are reached by clicking on your username, whether at top right when in Forum mode, or at the heading of a post. Then click on "Preferences"
  • wayne_pettitwayne_pettit Member Posts: 1
    I would like to be added please to enable .stl or other CAD file import. Many thanks. 
  • arasaras Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I would also like to get a notification when STL or other import formats becomes available. Thanks.
  • bill_osbergbill_osberg Member Posts: 7
    Please add me to the list as well...
  • jeff_woodingjeff_wooding Member Posts: 1
    Please notify me as well when STL import is available!
  • allen_stewartallen_stewart Member Posts: 32
    Please add me to the list.  
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 I also need STL import as model as well.
  • christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    I would like the ability to import STL files also! I get these from customers, created from their designs and would be great to "look them over" here! Can a STL be "reverse engineered" into a solid??
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    +1 for STL >> Solid
  • christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Plus...if I could make an STL of the customers part into a solid, support material could be added/modified here.
  • steina81steina81 Member Posts: 2
    Please add me to the STL import list.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Is Onshape the right tool to be editing STL files?  I recently got into 3D printing and found that many of the STL files available on the web could benefit from some editing, but that proved difficult to do in the 3D parametric CAD system I was using at the time (GeoMagic Design).  I'm wondering if such revisions aren't better done in a tool that is built to understand the meshes that make up STL files.  

Is that conjecture way off base?
  • robin_strandrobin_strand Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to import STL files also.
  • ryan_blackwoodryan_blackwood Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    +1 for STL
  • Kevin_72Kevin_72 Member Posts: 1
    Another when-implemented STL import requester.  Thanks.
  • nestor_socasnestor_socas Member Posts: 1
     I've imported STL files today, they appear on the list, but can't see the image on screen!.  Anybody knows why?
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • davor_vrkicdavor_vrkic Member Posts: 1
    +1 for STL 
  • randy_esrandy_es Member Posts: 1
    I'd also like to import STL files. 
    If I understand it correctly, an STL file is comprised of a large number of very small meshes which approximate the surface of the object modeled.  Can such objects be easily and accurately edited with Onshape's tools as they exist today?  In my experience with Geomagic Design (a parametric 3D CAD program) STL files were nearly impossible to revise and I'm wondering if that is just the nature of the STL beast in a 3D MCAD world or a reflection of my poor 3D MCAD skills.

If the former is true, I'd prefer that Onshape programming resources be focused in other areas.
  • matt_dmatt_d Member Posts: 1 PRO
    I'd also like to import STLs. Please add me to the request list
  • timothy_perkinstimothy_perkins Member Posts: 1
    I mostly am modeling with 3D printing being the end use of my designs, so .stl would be high on my wish list :smile: 

STL is intended for outputting to 3D printers, and Onshape can do this currently.

It is not a format which would be particularly suitable for importing into an MCAD package.

The resulting model, even for relatively simple engineering componentry, would be a nightmare to work with: an absolute mass of surfaces, with terrible performance (both speed and accuracy) and no analytical geometry (true circles, arcs, ellipses, cones, cylinders etc) which could be extracted or even measured properly.

Those who have imported a complex STL file into Solidworks will probably recall just how frustrating and unproductive the result can be.

Those who have imported a complex STL file into Solidworks will probably recall just how frustrating and unproductive the result can be.
    That was certainly my experience working with STLs from the maker community in GeoMagic Design.  In the end, it was easier to recreate the model from scratch in GMD than to work with the STL file.