Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude a sketch

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
Here's the design pattern:

1. I have a sketch to extrude

2. select upto surface, this creates a reference to the imported body which I don't want.

3. switch to blind, where did 25mm come from? it should be the upto surface distance, I don't want any references to the imported body.

Currently I have to measure the distance, write it down, then type it in to blind input field, what is this the stone age?

SW never did this right, Pro/e got it right, please make it work. If you have it, you'll use it a lot. Trust me this design pattern comes up often.

Comments

• Options
    scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    For now, since the imported body is part of the data set in the part studio, why not simply reference it, then hide it when you are finished with it? When we have referencing between part studios, you will be able to reference the imported body, then never have to worry about it again (we will have a very nice way to handle these types of relationships).
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    It's more than just this imported body example. Many times you need to make a blind extrude but don't know the distance. Using upto surface, vertex & offset surface; then turning back to blind should set the distance to what these distances were. We did it all the time in pro/e, then never in SW. Sure would be nice to get it back.

• Options
    scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    Got it. It makes sense. It would only work if the "up to" gives you a distance (like in "up to" vertex). If the end condition conforms to a surface, then there is no blind distance to convert back to.
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    You are right, but most extrudes are up to analytical faces and in the event that it's not a planar face, all bets are off.

I'm realizing this is a 'nice to have pattern' and there's many more 'must have features' that are needed. I'm hoping while they are in there working on the extrude feature, this could be added. When reverse engineering, this comes in handy. It's not anything SW users are use to because it never was in SW. Hoping it makes OS.