Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Adding ridges around mymodle

Chriswh86Chriswh86 Member Posts: 5
Hi all,

Ive created a 3d design of a cardboard end plug. Its public and called "Cardboard Tube Plug"

Around the ring of the plug, the side of it. I want to add 3 small rings. They would be about .5mm in height and .5mm in width, very small. They are used to grip the inside of the cardboard tube. Typically for a shipping tube. Anyways, I thought id need to use the revolve feature obviously but I cannot figure out how to properly draw the ridge on the side of the plug and then how to revolve it 360 around the plug.

Some assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.
Chris
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
  • Chriswh86Chriswh86 Member Posts: 5
    @Chriswh86
    All you have to do is sketch the profiles of (ie a cross section through) the ribs you want to add
    -- in other words, just the added material), with one edge touching - or slightly inside - the parent solid.
    I imagine these would just be sketched rectangles.

Also sketch a line ( it's usual to use a construction line) representing the desired revolve axis, in the same sketch
    (There are other ways of specifying the revolve axis but this one has advantages)

Pick the closed areas within the profiles, and specify the axis in the Revolve command. 

HTH, let's know how you got on
    Looks like ive got it. I ended up using planes and drawing the small rectangle on each plane. Bit more work but I think itll work. Thanks for the assistance :)

Chris