Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to create differently sized instances from a generic part?

Newbie question.

Tried to make a generic part with variables for the main dimensions.
Then I realised that when I change the variables in the part definition, all instances, even older references change.
Thinking some more, that is of course the way it should work.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c90604e98a644367954e2dcb/w/e803d1da78c441d69fe8f9f6/e/4c64e9abf026404d83bc2db3

So, my question is, how do I create a generic base part that can have differently dimensioned instances?

Best Answer

Answers

• florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Hi Lars,

have a look at my similar loosely related question on configurations for some hints. However, there isn't a robust solution yet.

Cheers, Flo
  • lars_anderssonlars_andersson Member Posts: 20
    "Derive that part" would that be done by Duplicate in the Part Studio tab? Then I guess ordinary dimensioning would do as well as variables?

I played with exporting the part as Parasolid and reimporting the part in a new Part Studio, then changing the variables in my mother part and then repeat export/import.

If that process could be automated ...
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @lars_andersson
    I was thinking more in terms of a live link than a dead one.

Duplicate results in a dead link: changes to the parent are not reflected in the child.
    "Derived" creates an associative link, as described here :

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#derived.htm?TocPath=Modeling%20in%20Onshape|Part%20Studio|Feature%20Tools|_____25
  • christophe_ribalchristophe_ribal Member Posts: 3
    Hi !
    I'm wondering if there has been any improvements on this, such as a function: "Import As" where the set of modifed variables could be set independently from their state on the mother part, even if larger design changes could happen there and be reflected to the child.
    Is this on the to-do-list for Onshape ?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308