Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

5 Minutes of onshape

traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
The discussion about how to show off Onshape in 5 minutes made me wonder, how much actual modeling can one do in 5 minutes? So came up with a little exercise to warm up with. The rules I started with were: 5 minutes of planning on paper then 5 minutes of modeling as fast as you can. It turns out that I severely underestimated what I can do in 5 minutes of modeling and 15 or 30 minutes is a more reasonable length of time. I tried to record the session but my computer ate the video file before it could save it. Next time... Here's the result. I selected the body of a little quadcopter on my desk as the inspiration. Spent 5 minutes strategizing what sequence of features would be necessary and then started modeling.

5 minutes got me this:

At 10m I had figured out a shelling approach for this situation(I rarely use it):

At 30m I had the rough model and had reached the point I had originally thought I might be able to get to in 5:

And at 45m I had refined it be dimensionally close to the original and cleaned up the propeller guard area. It's not quite ready for injection molding but not far off either....

It was a fun exercise. I learned a bit about shells and boolean operations that I didn't know before. I'll definately be doing it a few more times.

The model is here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/47a4d745edd94562829ebae0/w/794cc7d251cd4ce2bd4edf15

Comments

• stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    That's great stuff @traveler‌ , thank you.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I had a go at this with a light arm mechanism, I saw this while in the emergency dept at the hospital with my son on Christmas day, he end up with about 50 stitches in his leg after being empaled on a tree branch. I was ponding how to do this in Onshape while he was getting X-rayed not much else to do while waiting and waiting.

Took me a bit over an hour to get a working assembly. Now to fill out and modify (could be another 4 hours to get all detail), might make a good work lamp for the shed if I can be bothered bring it out of cad to the real world.

see:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bc0d6937206b43bc96521413/w/c2cbdba28478453da943efd9/e/8860a5dc03df48b9af460fea

I will cut the screen shots down next, got to go and  get ready for camping tonight. Bruce.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    You had wifi signal in A and E? Impressive!
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @barbart77 That's pretty cool.
  • Jimmy_BarreraJimmy_Barrera OS Professional Posts: 7 PRO
    Thanks for sharing the quad copter model.  I'm going to demo Onshape here at Cimquest in our next quarterly; this gives me great material to use.