Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to navigate within a drawing.

michael_mcewenmichael_mcewen OS Professional Posts: 77 PRO
I'm new to Onshape, but also new to CAD, altogether.  I have a few questions about Drawings.  Generally, it seems like the functionality of the Drawings work space isn't as robust as that of the Part Studio work space:

1. Is there a tutorial that defines the different templates (ANSI, ISO, etc)?  I have no idea which one to use or why to use one over               another.
2. Once a template is selected, and after starting on a drawing, is there a way to: 
    a. See which template you're actually in (doesn't show up in properties)?
    b. Change to a different template?
    c. Convert from one unit of measure to another (mm to inches)?
3. If I import a fully dimensioned sketch from a Part Studio, why must I re-dimension the shape all over again?  Is there no way to               display the same dimensions that I created within the sketch plane in Part Studio? 
4. I'm using a laptop and no mouse (any recommendations on a good 3 button?), but I have had no trouble navigating within the sketch planes in Part Studios.  But, in Drawings, the Shift / Arrow keys will not move my part.  All I can do is zoom in and out, but no way to center the part within the screen.

Thanks for any advice.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    In question 4, I guess "panning" is the function that is missing . . .
  • Options
    Thank you Narayan, this is very useful.  I appreciate your help!