Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Tutorial 2 - dimensioning

Good day,

I am running through tutorial 2 and have gotten stuck when instructor adds dimensions that resize the box shape. the first mistake I made is to change the measurements to mm, but when I changed it back it still uses mm. so I just converted to inches.

anyway... to the problem. I click the bottom line of the rectangle with dimension tool and then enter the corresponding mm value and nothing happens. it just resets it back to the original measurement and does not resize the box according to my entered value.

I have restarted the tut from scratch three times to make sure I have not messed with anything.

thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    Hi Gert - have you clicked in space to place the dimension, so that the dimension value box comes up?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • gert_engelbrechtgert_engelbrecht Member Posts: 3

Hi Neil.

I followed the video exactly. Select dimension tool. Click on the horizontal line to size. position the measurement value. then after positioning it highlights the measured value. you type in the required value and press enter. then nothing happens and it writes the measured value. it does not resize the box according to the value I entered.

the one thing I did do, but I cannot believe that had anything to do with it, is that I started a completely new drawing. I did not use the tut's function to open another window. can't remember the  terminology they used.

thanks

Hi Gert,

There is an auto scale function that does not change the geometry when the very first dimension is added to a sketch. 

If it is the same for all dimensions and you are using an approved browser (chrome, Firefox, Safari, opera) then please open a support ticket from the feedback tool under ? Menu top right. Our support team will troubleshoot it for you. 
  • gert_engelbrechtgert_engelbrecht Member Posts: 3

Hi Neil,

will try with chrome. ie not supported?

No - IE has not been developed to the same level as the supported browsers, and MS Edge has issues too that we are trying to resolve.
  • softweyrsoftweyr Member Posts: 1
    Terrible tutorial.  When you get to the part where you're adding the dimensions between two objects -- immediately after dimensioning the radius of the curve -- not a single comment on what you're doing with the mouse to make that happen.  Nothing but a flurry of activity on the screen that I cannot duplicate no matter what I try.  All I see is the dimension line change in ways that just don't happen for me, regardless of where I drag the mouse.  Please add some commentary for those of us too dumb to figure out what you're doing across the internet with no help.