Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mirror a feature?

jan_rychterjan_rychter Member Posts: 19
edited March 2016 in Community Support
While we can use features with linear patterns, it seems that mirror only works with parts, not features.

Am I missing something, or is this not implemented? I find this to be a really common problem when working on my designs. I even ended up with extraneous parts, which I later had to integrated with the main part using boolean ops (as a workaround).

Answers

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Mirror feature should be just round the corner, feature pattern came in last update so I suppose we can expect to see also feature mirror in near future updates..
    //rami
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Rest assured, you never have to wait too long....
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    In the linear pattern dialog there is a pulldown that lets you pick part, face, feature.
    In the mirror dialog there is a check box that has a face option.

This is the kind of thing that is really bad (inconsistent) in CATIA V5 and really good (consistent from dialog to dialog) in Fusion 360.

Behind the scenes there should be an interfaces on every element for standard operations.
    In the UI I think its better to show a consistent dialog layout with the operation that are'nt currently supported greyed out.
    I think this is the least desirable case where each element seems to have its own custom dialog layout based on what the operation currently supports.

Any ETA on the mirrors supporting features?
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @robert_Jackson
    Before feature pattern, also pattern command only had checkbox for 'face pattern'. So it was consistent.
    I'm sure they will make the same ui change for mirror dialog as they finish feature mirror. 

I have talked pretty often with guys at Onshape and they all seem to understand how important thing consistency is for flawless use even with rarely used functions.

What do you think about sketch dimension vs other sketch constraints difference?
    With dimension you need to first select the tool then instances (can't preselect) and with other constraints you need to preselect instances and then select desired constraint for those.
    I think this is the biggest hole in current consistency of Onshape. 
    //rami
    I agree.
    If I spend a couple of weeks away from Onshape ... the dimension vs constraint ordering gets me every time.
    I think both functions should work either way. All functions in fact should work with a valid pre-selection set or by selection after the function is picked.
    It looks like this is on the future enhancement list.