Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

instruction kit basic drawing question

reg_neufeldreg_neufeld Member Posts: 9
edited March 2016 in Community Support
I have been using Turbocad for number of years mostly 2d work and some 3d stuff.  I heard about this program so thought I would give it a try.  It has some really nice features but I am struggling with i'm sure a pretty simple issue.  Going through the exercises I run into issues and not sure how to solve them.  In this case i have done the first part of the sketch the circles very basic and very easy.  I then added the lines which are supposed to be tangent to the circles.  I have tried 50 times with deleting the whole file and starting over and I cannot understand how the person that did the exercise got his lines to snap in the correct place and then have them all turn black.  I have had them turn black only to have a different one stay blue.  I have tried to click a line and then circle and hit tangent constraint but seems to do nothing and mostly it just gives me a message about needing 2 arc and one cannot be a line or something.  At one point the whole thing just went red so I deleted it all and started over.  The lines snap to the circle nicely and looks kinda like the instructions drawing but mine will not turn black or go all shaded.  I hover over lines and circles to see what constraints are attached but not sure if there should be a tangent symbol for every line end snapped to the edge.  Probably to much babbling so will quit and see if anyone has the time to help me out.  At this point I am feeling like I will never get it.  

I just realized there was this toggle so did another screen shot  not sure it will help

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    I've not been through this tutorial but I am guessing that the right hand blue line (above the 0.313 rad) should be symmetrical about the vertical centerline? If it was mirrored it would be symmetrical by default or you could add a symmetry constraint afterwards. Even so, the fact that the lower half is not shaded means that your sketch is not fully closed. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    reg_neufeldreg_neufeld Member Posts: 9
    Well one trait I have is I am stubborn so I went about the deal again this time not trying to spot those lines so accurately and just snapped them on and then let the tangent tool move them into place.  Not sure why that was different but seem to have worked and now I can move on to my next issue. 

one question I have is in the creators drawing they had no measurement in the bottom left circle.  If I delete my measurement the most of the bottom parts become blue.  I still maintain the all shaded area now which is good.  I will leave the dimension in my circle so I can move on but do not understand that part of the program.
  • Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    HERE is my solution, if that helps...