Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

revert a part's color to original inherited color?

paul_1paul_1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Community Support
i have a collection of parts, all of which are copies of a single instance.  they've all been modified in various ways after copying.

if i change the color of the original ancestor, all of the copies follow suit.  if i change the color of one of the descendant parts, it no longer tracks the color of the original ancestor.  since i did that by mistake, i'd like to revert to having it track the ancestor.

is that possible?

Answers

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @paul_1,You can restore the history.
  • paul_1paul_1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    thanks -- obviously i could use "undo", but there have been a multitude of other changes since the erroneous change was made.

perhaps you're referring to resurrecting an older version?  if this were git, i could revert a single old commit trivially, but i have no idea how to do that in OS.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    It would be really cool if you could undo individual changes and have the main workspace rebuild.

I had a grand plan to workaround this by restoring to the point before the change was made, save a version and branch, then restore again to the point just before the first restore (with all your extra work after the change), then once your back to your latest version, merge the branch into the main workspace, However doesn't seem to work. Not sure why maybe appearance changes are not supported for merging.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @brucebartlett , not sure about historical appearance changes, but I merge two branches with parts of different colors quite often and it behaves as expected. Maybe try the more "normal" approach to verify it works then submit a ticket if the historical branching and merging does not work with appearance changes?

Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.