Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

ghost bodies during feature creation?

adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
I'm working on a mortise and tenon feature, and both mortise and tenon are internal. This means you can't see what you're doing unless you make the input bodies transparent before you start feature creation.

1) Is there a way to automatically ghost input bodies during feature creation, making it possible to see what's happening?

2) The normal Extrude tool in Remove mode displays the volume to be removed in red, even when it falls outside of the target body. How is that achieved? (The extrude source code is quite complex.)

Comments

• Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    edited April 2016
    This may be something we have to think about more long-term. For now, I think using debug will be useful. (It highlights the results of a query in red while you're editing the feature). Debug is really intended for developers only, but I think in your case it's close enough to the right UX that it's suitable.

Debug will behave similarly to the extrude behavior you described (they use the same underlying mechanism), but note that extrude never calls debug (and nor, I think, does anything else in released version of std). Extrude does it by throwing an error and setting the error entities to the bodies that failed to merge.