Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Anyone using a (PRO) 3D printer?

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
edited January 2015 in General
Are any of you using a 3D printer in-house?

I'm seriously looking into getting the Roland monoFab combo package:
* ARM-10 3D printer
* SRM-20 milling machine

The nice thing about the SRM-20 is that it can work with STL. So no CAM progamming. Just perfect for rapid prototyping.
both of these machines are very well built and look sleek. Especially as a duo.

Which machine(s) do you guys have?

Dries

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    most of the cheaper desktop mills on the market have CAM software that allow this. A lot of the high end CAM systems also allow machining from STL files as well.
    Thanks for the info, Kevin!
    Well, call me stupid, but I did not know that. :)
    Any suggestions on great desktop mills besides the Roland range?

Btw, I think I know what specimen you speak of. ;)

Dries
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I bought an isel icv 4030 for a research group a couple years ago. good German quality. performance as good as one could expect from an aluminum frame machine. it doesn't handle liquid coolant and the spindle I selected could not turn slow enough for cutting steel (I did do a couple steel parts on it, one using a cutoff wheel, another with a 1mm dia till). it had no problem with aluminum. adding a tool changer was key. I would recommend it but if you have room and 5k more you should get a surplus big boy's cnc machine
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I am not a fan of stereo lithography prototyping (which the Roland appears to be). all the ones I've used degrade in sunlight and over time. fine for tomorrow's design meeting, crap for working prototypes. I've used a stratasys dimension machine (abs) quite a bit. good results. it seemed to need an on-site tech support visit every 6 months or so. don't forget to wear safety goggles if you are breaking off the support material instead of dissolving it.
  • Options
    Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    If you are looking at a FDM style. Then go for a cheapie consumer model. The quality of my Delta printer easily matches the pro versions and cost me a few hundred.
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Statasys Fortus 250 (FDM)

I second Kevin's comments.  We waited for a professional level machine because we didn't want to fuss with Makerbots, and etc...  We like to print every piece of our product and take it through the manufacturing process ahead of time to flush out improvements ahead of tooling investments.  The changes are then fed back into the product.  We prototype the process, if you will.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well, we just decided to go for the Roland combo: ARM-10 + SRM-20.
    Too good a deal to pass up! :)
    I think the machines elevate each other...

Dries
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Be very interested to hear how you get on with that combo Dries. You should get in touch with Al Dean as he has been trying them out recently.
  • Options
    Be very interested to hear how you get on with that combo Dries. You should get in touch with Al Dean as he has been trying them out recently.
    I've poked him in twitterspace. ;)

Dries
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    I noticed that