Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

SLDPRT part file won't import - translation error

jr_ryanjr_ryan Member Posts: 4
Hi, I'm very new to Onshape, but it seems like a pretty straight forward system, especially for those using solidworks. I can even see that it handles part and assembly file import/export natively, which is great. Unfortunately, every time I try to import my file, it throws an error. It first tells me there was a translation error, and then it asks if I want to retry. If I do, it will complete the action without a warning or error message, but when I check the onshape document, it's completely empty, 0kb. Any ideas?

Best Answers

Answers

• adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
    My guess is that your top level assembly is not named the same as the zip file you're uploading. This is a silly and arbitrary aspect of the Onshape import system that no one knows about--because it's completely unintuitive, hidden, and the error message doesn't give you any hint as to the real problem.

The problem is known, and they're working on it. In the meantime, just make sure that if the top level assembly in your SolidWorks pack and go is called "MyGreatAssembly.SLDASM" that you name the resulting zip file "MyGreatAssembly.zip"
  • jr_ryanjr_ryan Member Posts: 4
    Interestingly, I have just now tried again, and the exact same files that failed before, now seem to import fine?! Literally nothing has changed. Very confusing.
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    I also agree that the translation failure feedback needs a lot of work. We hear you and are working on improving it.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Hi JR. We do not allow imports of CAD files with invalid parts. That is what I am seeing in the logs for at least some of your imports. Can you please open a support ticket via the "?" menu in Onshape and go to Feedback. We would like to know about the file that you tried to import with a failure that later worked.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
    hi both, thanks for replying! I was aware of the Assembly naming issue from reading through other forum posts. Unfortunately, the issue I had was with a solidworks part, importing into a part studio, not the assembly issue. Fortunately though, it looks like both issues have been resolved with this latest update, So...  thanks onsite! Keep up the good work!
    Hi JR. We do not allow imports of CAD files with invalid parts. That is what I am seeing in the logs for at least some of your imports. Can you please open a support ticket via the "?" menu in Onshape and go to Feedback. We would like to know about the file that you tried to import with a failure that later worked.
    Will do, thanks again.