Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

If I export as SolidWorks, will models and drawings have associativity?

I have a customer that uses SolidWorks.  If I create assemblies, parts and drawings in Onshape and then export them as SolidWorks documents, will they have associativity? Will somebody in the future be able to use them as SolidoWorks files in SolidWorks software?

Answers

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    No, all file exchange will lose model history and constraints = turns models into dumb solids (like step files). Possibility to export straight into sw native format is just a bit faster way than export to parasolid and then import into sw - result will be pretty much the same.
    //rami
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @algirdas_nasvytis It may possible if your Solidworks is configured with add on button for feature recognition tool. Applying this tool will give list of features included in the model. But I am not sure if it always gives accurate features as it were modeled in Onshape.
  • robert_kirkwoodrobert_kirkwood Member Posts: 5
    There is an add-in for SOLIDWORKS that recovers associativity for dumb solids.
    You will find it at http://integration-guard.com/IG/index.html