Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to fasten all parts as drawn

rob_hazlerob_hazle Member Posts: 2
I've tried several things here and can't quite get what I want. I have a lot of parts within a Parts Studio drawn exactly how they would go together. I simply want to fasten all of the parts together where they are without having to do a bunch of mates. I've tried simply grouping the parts in an assembly, the using that as an input into another assembly. However the parts do not remain fastened together.

Best Answer

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016 Answer ✓
    @rob_hazle have you fixed the first part and then group all parts together? I think it should work.

Answers

• Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    In an assembly....select the parts.....group.  Use the group icon at the top.  

• Options
    rob_hazlerob_hazle Member Posts: 2
    I've done groups but when I put the group in an assembly and apply a revolution mate the sub as assembly acts like it hadn't been grouped.
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Can you share a public link?  
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Group mate should hold together in a sub assembly. Have you fixed some of the parts in the first assembly rather than mating, I ask this because fixed parts will not hold position when in a sub assembly.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016 Answer ✓
    @rob_hazle have you fixed the first part and then group all parts together? I think it should work.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I do a lot of grouping in my work. It creates group that moves as group, if you fix in sub assembly it will not apply on main assembly. But you can get default position in main assy using fix there or add mate connector into origin and mate with origin. 
    //rami
  • Options
    robert_arrisrobert_arris Member Posts: 2 EDU
    @brucebartlett solved my problem (all you have to do is search for Group Mate, select it, highlight all of the entities you want to assemble, then press the green checkmark then all of the items selected are grouped as one part)