Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I want to gather solidworks parts into a part studio and continue working on them there. How?

bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
Derived parts are cumbersome as you have to modify each part in a seperate browser tab, then create new versions etc: very messy. It seems by far the best way is to make an assembly of the parts in solidworks and pack&go it then import the lot. Is that true?

However, if I find later I've left some of the parts out of the P&G, I'm back to the derived parts mess.

Best Answer

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited October 2016
    Another method would be to select the 'flatten' option on import.
    This will create a single part studio with all the parts in.
    BOOM! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi @bill_rayner I have also used a work flow where I take an assembly with parts all in position and import that via a step file into a single Onshape tab using the 'flattern' option as mentioned by @philip_thomas. You kinda have only the one chance to get this right otherwise to have to derive parts in. Worked fair well in my situation although I found multiple part instances to be a pain and had to delete all the multiples to stop confusion.

A while back @ilya_baran posted for feedback on an import updating system, this may be the solution to your problem in the future. Not sure how this would look in the feature tree after you have done mods to the original import, maybe you would see a new feature 'updated import'. Looking forward to developments in this space. See post  importing updating system here 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    Thanks all for the quick response; derived parts are definitely the answer for adding parts one at a time as required. The optional update feature looked dangerous when I used it a while back, but it would be very hard to do by mistake.

With two decades of solidworks designs to reuse I can't bring it all in at once.