Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - November 1st, 2016

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited October 2016 in New in Onshape
We hope you enjoyed your Halloween!  We have one more treat for you. Check out all the new features that were added with this latest update!  Let's dig in!

MOVE TO EXISTING DOCUMENT

With the last update, we added the ability to move tabs to a new Document.  With this update, we have added the ability to move tabs to an existing Document as well.  When moving tabs to an existing Document, a version will need to be created in the Document you are moving the tabs to.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/pbosbtfh04?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

LINK DOCUMENT SHARE PERMISSION

A new "Link document" share permission has been added with this update.  This permission gives you explicit control over whether or not the person you are sharing with can insert your Document into theirs.  In the past, the Document had to be shared with view, copy, and export permissions as a minimum.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/l2ugo45kit?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

NEGATIVE ANGLE MATE LIMITS

Negative angle mate limits are now supported in Onshape assemblies.  This makes defining range of motion from a neutral position much easier.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6j0f6wl59z?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

LABELS IN FEATURE DIALOGS

New labels appear in feature dialogs with this update.  These labels make it clear what the selection is even after selecting entities.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/g1nb2xobze?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

EDIT SECTION VIEW LINE IN DRAWINGS

You can now edit section view lines and add or remove jog points.  Simply right-click the section view line and choose "Edit."  Left-click an existing point to remove, left click on new geometry to add a point.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/covkncj5rr?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

UNITS PULLDOWN IN DRAWINGS DIMENSION PANEL

A new units option has been added to the Dimension panel in Onshape Drawings.  This makes it easy to change the units of an individual dimension in your drawing.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/8qk2qspwfn?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

FEATURESCRIPT DOCUMENTATION HYPERLINKS

New hyperlinks have been added in the FeatureScript documentation.  This makes it easy to jump to various sections of the documentation without having to search.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/j0j2xuuea7?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and let us know what you think!

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    Linked documentation! Will be very helpful when I find time to play with more FS.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Wow! Nice Updates...Keep it up. I am loving the units option added to the Dimension panel in Onshape Drawings.

• jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    Very Nice!!  I really like having the labels in the feature dialog.  I saw them yesterday and thought it was nice, never even thought about it being update week again, already;)

Updates every 3 weeks is really nice as it gives me time to get used to the new features and then you guys roll out some more. It never feels overwhelming like trying to process a big batch of updates once a year.  For a short time I worked for a big corporation where the engineering dept. only upgraded their SW subscriptions every 2-3 years.  When I showed up (coming from a small company, where I was the drafting dept., & they upgraded every year) I was shocked to realize that the big fancy engineering dept.'s knowledge of new features & functionality was 5-6 years behind where I was.

For the 'move to document' feature, are there plans to add this functionality to an entire folder?  So it would be one right-click & select away from having an entire folder moved to a new document...
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in documents created before the date of this update.

The ability to revisit past projects and add to them using the latest facilities is fantastic. No more downloading the latest version of software and then converting my work to a new format in order to use new features. Thank you.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Alway great to see new update's. Keep them coming.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • jakob_lindgrenjakob_lindgren Member Posts: 2
    Always nice with frequent updates. To bad to see onshape coming to a close.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Great work, once again.

Special thanks to adding negative angle for limits, I've been struggling with that one..

For me this 3 weeks update schedule feels like we are working together rather than that I've bought a piece of software and after paying I'm on my own.
    //rami
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I appreciate that we can not edit section lines for location, but when will we be able to edit that length of the section line. I have had times where the section line should be an inch long based on part size, but was actually 3 or 4 inches long with no means to edit. I want professional looking drawings with more user control. To me, Drawings are still in early beta and far from ready for prime time.
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @brian_brady  It's not mentioned, but we also added the ability to change the length of the section view line by dragging its endpoints.  It will not allow you to turn a section view into a partial section view, but I think it should allow you to resize in the example you gave.  Please try this again and if it's still an issue let our support team know via the Feedback tool.
    Thanks Cody, I have too been busy with other fires to try that out.
    Just tried it. Works better. Still, I would like Onshape to be the first 3D CAD company to get section views to match ANSI standards for ribs and spokes. Any chance of that in the future? This has long been something that bugs me about auto-generated CAD drawings from solids; they play fast and loose with standards and convention.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Love the drawing updates! Every month it gets better!
  • marshall_haasmarshall_haas Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Just wondering why centimeter is not an option in the units pull down menu. Many of my designs are originally set to centimeters.  Why is that not an option when I put in my dimensions on a drawing?
    Unable to generate drawings. Also cursor no longer shows up on drawing page. I was able to do this about a week ago.... Seems like since updates were made some issues have arisen.
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ marshall_haas, At present Onshape drawing has only 'Millimeters' ,'Inches' and 'Feet and inches' option.
    You can raise a improvement request for this.Hope it ll be introduced in future updates..

The issue with not being able to generate drawings seems to have gone away in the last 1/2 hour? Thanks for the quick reply on the unit question regarding centimeters. I guess we will convert to mm. You would think since the SI unit for length is meter that this would at least be a choice?
    Just wondering why centimeter is not an option in the units pull down menu. Many of my designs are originally set to centimeters.  Why is that not an option when I put in my dimensions on a drawing?
  • a_dandlera_dandler Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I submitted a ticket, requesting Dual Dimensions, and I got a notice that it has been taken care of in the latest release.  However, I can't find any menu item where it might be.  Any ideas?