Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - December 14th, 2016

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited December 2016 in New in Onshape
The year is coming to an end, but we have one more big update for you before 2016 is over.  Let's take a look!

CURVE PATTERN

A new Curve Pattern tool has been added to the Part Studio’s pattern dropdown.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/66yuszhgti?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

CENTERED PATTERN

A new "Centered" option can now be found in Linear and Circular Patterns in the Part Studio.  This option allows you pattern symmetrically when starting with a known center.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/k0hbb8xg44?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

INSERTING A VERSION (ASSEMBLIES)

You can now insert a Version of a part or subassembly into the top level assembly even if everything is in the same Document.  In the past this required the versioned parts or subassemblies to be in a separate Document. This also applies to other commands that allow you to insert.  Some examples are the Derived feature, insert image, and insert DXF/DWG.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/lnhixqz4ih?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

EXPORT IMPROVEMENTS

A number of export improvements have been added with this update, including the ability to define the exported file's name, and remembering drawing and sketch export settings.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/in4j8zwuwh?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

INSERTING A VERSION (DRAWINGS)

You can now insert a Version of a part or subassembly into a drawing even when everything is in the same Document.  In the past this required the versioned parts or subassemblies to be in a separate Document.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/dw5yed5z89?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

DANGLING DIMENSION IMPROVEMENTS

Dangling Dimensions got a big improvement with this update.  Now, when a dimension becomes dangling, you will see graphically which attachment point is causing the problem.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/t3r16nzlua?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

SHEET SIZE FIELD

Sheet Size is now a field that you can use in Onshape Drawings.  It can inserted into Notes or added to the title block, and if the sheet size is changed, the notes or title block automatically update.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/8trky63ywn?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

RADIAL DIMENSION IMPROVEMENT

The text for a radial dimension will now be placed inline with the dimension when the dimension is inside the radius.

UPDATE APP STORE REVIEWS

You can now leave reviews for apps on the Onshape App Store.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and let us know what you think!  

While we are excited about these updates, we are even more excited about the BIG things coming soon in 2017! Stay tuned!

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Center option with patterns.
    I see a behavior that surprised me when asking for centered pattern and wondered if it was intentional.
    When checking or unchecking the 'center' option, the number of items does not match the 'count'.
    If i say count is 3 then I actually get 5 instances when changed to 'center'.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @glen_dewsbury If you think there is an issue, then use the feedback tool in the product to create a ticket.  Share the document with Support, as well.  We'll take a look for you.
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    No In-context editing this update?  Is that still not ready for prime time?
  • john_mceleneyjohn_mceleney Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    @tony_castongia we've got it with some users doing some testing, stay tuned... thanks for your patience.
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    @tony_castongia we've got it with some users doing some testing, stay tuned... thanks for your patience.
    I saw it tested yesterday in a video conf call, was hoping it was dropping today.

It's like the one function that was holding us back from buying OS.

I make pumping systems and need to run pipe from fitting A to fitting B. Well that pipe has to be a new part made within the assembly and needs to reference the fittings it attaches into.  What I saw yesterday looks like exactly what we're needing. 
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Center option with patterns.
    I see a behavior that surprised me when asking for centered pattern and wondered if it was intentional.
    When checking or unchecking the 'center' option, the number of items does not match the 'count'.
    If i say count is 3 then I actually get 5 instances when changed to 'center'.
    I haven't tried this feature yet, but in the video it shows this happening. I think it is confusing. A pattern count should always tell you the total number of instances, not how many in each direction. If centered pattern is selected, my thinking is that only odd values should be possible, a centered pattern of 2 items is not possible if one of the items is the center.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Would it be impossible for the pattern tool to remember the last type of pattern, i.e. Part, Feature, or Face? Same for other features that have similar choices. I use Part patterns and mirroring a hole lot less than feature or face, but I always have to change the selection from Part to do them. 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Nice, thanks guys. 

For the "Inserting by version" to reach its potential we really need versions for individual parts not for the document.  Is that on the radar?

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Dangling Dimensions:  So intuitive, I was using this feature yesterday and wasn't aware that it was just released.  Impressed. :)
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited December 2016
    Nice updates.

Pattern along curve is a big help when needed. 

Year 2016 has been amazing, a big bunch of user requested features together with feature script and all, in-context editing being just around the corner I'm really looking forward to 2017 for configurations and insert current version of linked doc into assembly to begin with..

//rami
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice updates. Special thanks for introducing "Inserting by version" and Dangling Dimensions .
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Special thanks for curve and centered pattern!!