Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Inserting Your Bill of Materials Into an Onshape Drawing

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
There was one big improvement added in this most recent update that we didn't formally announce right away.  Some testing was needed after the update to make sure everything works smoothly.  Now that testing is done, we are really excited to announce...

You can now insert your bill of materials into an Onshape Drawing.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/8fb4xbk3pe?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

You will find a new "Insert BOM" command in the drawings toolbar.  If you've created a BOM using openBoM, or the Onshape BOM for Google Sheets app, you will have the ability to insert them directly into an Onshape Drawing.

If you’re using an integrated cloud app like openBoM to create your BOM choose the “BOM apps” filter.  If you are using a connected-cloud app like Onshape BOM for Google Sheets, then you will choose “BOM data.”  Simply select your BOM and left-click to place it.

If a change is made to the BOM, you will see the "Update" icon highlight in the drawings toolbar.  Clicking this will update the drawing, including any changes made to the BOM.

If you are using openBoM, I recommend checking out the recent forum post by @oleg_shilovitsky that discusses in detail this new functionality and the integration between Onshape and openBoM.

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    So does this mean we can insert any google sheet like price calculations or production data and get update icon to highlight if sheets has been changed?
    //rami
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    edited March 2017
    @3dcad  No, the Onshape BOM for Google Sheets app has specific functionality that exports BOM data to a tab in the Document.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Ok, thanks for clarification.
    //rami
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome @cody_armstrong .............
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
  • oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO

@cody_armstrong

The latest openBoM update allows to sort BOM in Onshape drawing by Balloon number 

You can get details here. 

https://medium.com/@openbom/how-to-keep-an-openbom-bom-sorted-in-onshape-drawing-33c9eb8be603#.u3yjell52

• jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    @oleg_shilovitsky, I really like this method as it lets me decide which order to display the parts in the drawing BoM.  I try to keep it ordered in part # ascending order but there are occasions where being able to easily flex that rule can be nice such as when I want to group purchased parts at the bottom of the BoM and keep my modeled parts near the top.  I've also flexed things where I keep the sub-assemblies at the top of the BoM and have the individual parts immediately follow that.

@cody_armstrong, do you know of how I can shrink the cell padding around the text?  The drawing BoM comes in with 12pt font and I shrink it to 8pt but I can only resize the cell size down a little bit, I would like to see the grid lines tighter to the text.  Other than that, I am very happy with the BoM for drawings capability.  It sure beats taking screenshots of BoMs and inserting them into the drawings!!