Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to trim Beams between two cylindrical pipe parts?

frederick_lai383frederick_lai383 Member Posts: 2 EDU
edited December 2016 in FeatureScript
I was trying to trim Beams between two cylindrical pipe parts, it does not allow Planar faces to trim to. I tried Parts to trim to. Instead of trimming at the joints of the two pipes, the pipe to be trimmed disappeared. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• frederick_lai383frederick_lai383 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Thanks, NeilCooke. That's really help!
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    I ran into this problem over the weekend testing out some pipe I made in the feature-script writer. 

It doesn't always do the same thing.  Sometime it extends the pipe to the ID of the pipe I'm selecting (the red and blue pipes), or it slices the pipe and makes two pieces but doesn't extend past my construction line (yellow), or it cuts the pipe right where I want it and doesn't make a 2nd piece (small gray). 

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Hi @Tony_C_ the beams feature calculates which pipe to remove based on an arbitrary percentage of pipe volume so your red and blue and yellow pipes are over that threshold. I have been sitting on a version 2 of the beams feature since January which is more capable than (but not compatible with) beams version 1. Since not many people complained I have not fully QA'd it yet but maybe I should and release it. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Yeah, I noticed the length of the line effected how it cut it.  It's not a huge thing and there are work arounds.  The best one I found was drawing a small line on the outside of the pipe then doing a extrude to face. It's another step but not a big deal.

The beam script is a awesome feature.