Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Manifolds

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
edited July 2017 in Community Support
So this is the last thing I was wanting inside OS. 

Enclosing a volume with surface patches including all edges connected & edges forming vertices, make me a solid volume. No extrusions for me, say goodbye to the prismatic world of solid modeling.

Multiple surface patches forming a water tight manifold:

All these surfaces were "added" to as opposed to "new" causing this manifold to be knitted together. Although these surfaces are grouped together (knitted) and behave as one, they do not have volume and are not consider a solid manifold.

The new enclose command will take surfaces and interrogate it's edges & vertices to determine if you have a manifold. At this point you can perform solid routines on your design such as adding bosses and ribs to the inside or cuts for displays and other items in your design: 

This is a fundamental design pattern for hand held injection molded parts that are comfortable to hold on to.

Getting back to surfaces requires you to delete one of the faces:

Watching the items in the bottom left corner of the screen, you can see that OS is tracking the status of your design.

One of the frustrations is dealing with a solid manifold and wanting to add something trick or cosmetically appealing. To take a solid manifold back into a surface needs the ability to detach a face from a manifold without deleting a face. 

Can someone please tell me how to detach a face from a solid manifold? 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    elif-that's exactly the goofy way I get around the issue.

Make a copy of the surface, then delete the manifold's surface. Build your magic on the copied surface and re-enclose everything including the copied surface.

SpaceClaim allows knitting & un-knitting manifolds, they call the command 'detaching' a surface.

Seems logical if you can knit you should be able to un-knit.

This isn't earth shattering, was hoping to fix the basic logic to building/using manifolds in solid models.

I guess I'm happy that OS now has this. I don't need SW any longer.

• Options
    Answer ✓
    yeap, sounds like a detach feature script coming soon.

thanks,