Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Security and privacy of my Works on OnShape

Hi,
i am working on My invention/Patent
that is not yet registerd and 
Before i start using this amazing software
i want to know if it safe? 

there is any possibility that anyone can see my files?
Iam an education subscriber and my files is not shared..

can i trust this online platform site to keep my work private to prevent stealing ?

thank you :)

Answers

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited August 2017
    @Guy_Eytan_malka If you are a paid user, your work is private and only those you share with would have access.  If you are a paid user and you create private data and then decide to go to FREE, your works that were private will remain private and read only to you.  If you go back on PRO you can edit once again.

As far as EDU, that is for education purposes and not for commercial use.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,392
    @Guy_Eytan_malka if you are applying for a patent I presume it is a product you want to sell? You cannot use the EDU plan for this purpose.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    ***Careful, to patent something it can't have been disclosed.  If you use the free version all your docs are public so you patent may be rejected.***
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd