Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do you create a sphere?

Reuben_AbrahamReuben_Abraham Member Posts: 6
I have figured out a way, but I'm quite sure there's a much simpler way to do it...
Please include any videos or gifs if possible, thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• Reuben_AbrahamReuben_Abraham Member Posts: 6
    oh, yes that is way simpler. My old method was to create a semicircle, create a new plane perpendicular to it and then draw a circle, and THEN revolve. thanks for the help!
  • christian_berriganchristian_berrigan Member Posts: 1
    I created a 1.5" diameter solid cylinder, 1.5" long.  Then selected both edges and used the filet tool and set the radius to the maximum allowable value of 0.75 in.  It sure looks like a sphere, and was super simple.  All dimensions in the generated drawing indicate a 1.5" diameter sphere.
  • davin_songdavin_song Member Posts: 1 EDU
    You can create a sphere in 2 steps. Create a sketch and draw an arc or circle and then use the revolve tool. 
    Here's an example: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f46a38416ac2855162ef7bed/w/ee19045eebb62fb7898e525d/e/9060850a21912e090e6916e9
    Liar. You CAN'T REVOLVE THE EDGE.
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    @davin_song
    You can revolve an edge as a surface. You can also create an enclosed sketch and revolve as a solid. 
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    @davin_song
    You would have to split the circle in half to revolve the edge as a surface. 
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    @davin_song
    You can revolve an edge as a surface.
    As Wayne says

Here are 2 GIF’s

• neil_brennanneil_brennan Member Posts: 5
    This really is why Onshape is behind the the 8-ball from the start. Even basic shapes are crazy hard to create for a beginner, with no real thought seemingly ever having been put into ease of uptake. Doing the simplest things takes hours of endless tutorials and youtube videos. And yes, I know everyone has their "one weird trick" that makes it easy to do a particular thing, but honestly would it be *that* hard to add some basic primitives? Even making a sphere means 90% of users fall into the self-intersecting shape rabbit hole, and that's their first experience of Onshape.
  • martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    I've already successfully talked another dev team into this.
    So, lets's try agian ;0) :
    • A spere can be defined by a center point and a radius. Easy.
    • A cylinder can be defined by a line and a radius. Easy.
    Why not allow the thicken tool to work on curves and points?
    • Create a sphere by thickening a point.
    • Create a cylinder by thickening a line.
    • Create a bent rod thing by thickening a curve.
    • Create a bent rod thing with straight areas and rounded ends by thickening a chain of point, line, curve, point.
    That would be very easy and also fast to edit after the fact.

Sample: One sketch - select all - one thicken feature.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    I've been using CAD at my dayjob since the mid 90's. I don't think I ever made a sphere for anything work related. At home for hobby I did a few times to model billiard balls. I don't see the big deal with making a sphere using a revolve. Once you know how to do it, it just takes a few seconds, and you'll never forget how to do it.