Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - September 26th, 2017

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited September 2017 in New in Onshape
We just updated two and a half weeks ago and we are ready with another one! Check out all the awesome improvements in this update.

DRAFT ANALYSIS

You'll find a new "Draft analysis" option in the View Tools dropdown that allows you to analyze your design for draft requirements.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ia1bhwtzsq?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

LOFT IMPROVEMENTS

You can now combine multiple selections to create one loft profile or guide.  In the past, this was either not possible or required a workaround.  Also added is the ability to define continuity with respect to your guides.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/czw31163e3?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SHOW REGENERATION TIMES

You'll find a new stopwatch icon in the feature list that when clicked will flyout with the regeneration times of each feature in your Part Studio.  Great for troubleshooting slow Part Studios.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9j3tv01szf?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

RESTORE ASSEMBLY INSTANCES

If you accidentally click the "X" to cancel while inserting parts into your assembly, you will see a prompt that will allow you to restore.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/387yotgndn?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

DUAL DIMENSIONS IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You can now show Dual Dimensions in Onshape Drawings.  There is a new option in the Dimension Panel flyout as well as a new Drawing Properties option.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/evke54w5yx?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

TWO-POINT CIRCLE CENTERLINE

You can now create a two-point circle centerline in Onshape Drawings.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/fs5yj0r41l?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ORDINATE DIMENSIONS IMPROVEMENTS

You'll find a new grip point in Ordinate Dimensions to drag the entire group of dimensions.  In the past, you were limited to dragging them one at a time.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/75q72iqcc1?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

DRAWING VIEW IMPROVEMENTS

Drawing View improvements were made to improve performance (especially in the case of large assemblies) and robustness.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and let us know what you think!  

Interested in a deeper dive into this update? Check out our changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• 3dit_software3dit_software Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Saw that stopwatch and knew something was up - Thanks for that Draft Analysis!!!
  • Burgeworks@gmail.comBurgeworks@gmail.com Member, csevp Posts: 9 PRO
    Now there is 2 types of Dimensions that are covered up by the arrow and leader. 
  • eric_9eric_9 Member Posts: 3
    Cool your adding new features but how about fixing the inconsistency, adding missing tool function and lowering the click count when using tools on a smaller screen?
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Awesome, Thanks for the draft analysis, I am sure that will help keep the modeled part designers happy, @Agersens .  My favorite is the improvement for assy insert, half the time I hit the x and lose my parts, at least now I can get them back. 

Just reading back through the changelog and noticed last release the shortcut updated for cross-section views to "SHIFT + X". Really nice little addition wish I'd know about this a bit sooner.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Auke_Smit_SILAuke_Smit_SIL Member Posts: 20 PRO
    @brucebartlett  very happy with the draft analysis.

• daniel_bartholomeuszdaniel_bartholomeusz Member Posts: 5 PRO
    I love the regeneration time display. This will really help me improve my design methodology for efficient regeneration.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Wow, great work folks, thanks :)

Love the ideas of the regen time indicator and loft updates.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • viktor_solenoidviktor_solenoid Member Posts: 12
    eric_9 said:
     lowering the click count when using tools on a smaller screen?
    I'm zooming out the whole tab on 80% in Firefox. The font gets little blurry, but I'm used to small icons, so it's working for me
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    eric_9 said:
    Cool your adding new features but how about fixing the inconsistency, adding missing tool function and lowering the click count when using tools on a smaller screen?
    @eric_9 can you be a bit more specific?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Now there is 2 types of Dimensions that are covered up by the arrow and leader. 
    @Burgeworks@gmail.com if you having trouble with dimension displays please open a support ticket.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Getting this after the update this morning.

edited September 2017
    Howdy.

Just had a look at the regen timer and like the idea a lot.  Only tried it on a couple of docs.  The timer indicated a total time of only a few seconds but the partstudio actually took much longer than that to open.  (Minutes in one case.)  Does that imply the rest of that time is data transfer before the regen starts?

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • jordan_simondsjordan_simonds Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    Tony_C_ said:

Hey Tony,

Thanks for reporting this. We are aware of the issue and it happens to be a regression with Google Chrome. Their team has pushed a fix that you can probably expect in the next browser update.

If the issue is bothersome, you can try using another browser in the meantime! Sorry for any inconvenience.

Jordan
    Tony_C_ said:

Hey Tony,

Thanks for reporting this. We are aware of the issue and it happens to be a regression with Google Chrome. Their team has pushed a fix that you can probably expect in the next browser update.

If the issue is bothersome, you can try using another browser in the meantime! Sorry for any inconvenience.

Jordan
    I am using chrome.  Not really a big deal, just wanted to point it out. 

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @owen_sparks
    The regeneration time is only showing how long the FeatureScript for the feature takes to execute.  It does not show times for database or cache access, authentication/authorization, various data transfers, tessellation, rendering, etc.  So it's not for diagnosing all performance issues, but it's basically for the case of "Operations on my document are slow -- let's see if there's an obvious culprit -- ok, this feature pattern takes 30 seconds to regen -- ah, I'll replace it with a face pattern."
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • tago_kalbritago_kalbri Member Posts: 8 PRO
    edited September 2017
    Wow, that's again some nice updates, guys!  B)
    1) Regen stopper is nice, already can see few things what we can improve. 
    2) Draft analysis was something I did not expect from you for looong time so it's massive suprise!
    3) Ordinate upgrade is nice, does save some time in long run with those edits. But I'd be more happy if you can have snap so it would be easier to align measurments. Currently I just zoom in and eyeball it :hushed: While testing I saw that you have added some snap action for measurments whare are on same height, that's already really good :) 
    Hi @ilya_baran

Thanks for the clarification, that makes perfect sense.  I was happy when you added something similar to FS so having it also in the partstudio is great.

Please pass on my appreciation to all involved.

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @jordan_simonds (as well as QA and UX folk involved), passing along Owen's appreciation :)
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    @jordan_simonds (as well as QA and UX folk involved), passing along Owen's appreciation :)
    I kinda meant when you bump into them in a corridor  ;) but yeah, that works too B)

Cheers, OwS.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work
    I can't wait to test properly the draft analysis, and love the stopwatch icon to see the regeneration times, but I think the best improvement is in the selection of entities in the loft feature. I am sure we can see that kind of selection in other features soon
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    Nice work
    I can't wait to test properly the draft analysis, and love the stopwatch icon to see the regeneration times, but I think the best improvement is in the selection of entities in the loft feature. I am sure we can see that kind of selection in other features soon
    Yeah, I agree.  There seems to be more cleverness going on with lofts without guides.  The traditional loft a square to a circle for instance, or a circle to a hexagon works nicely without guides.

Also new sketch entities are an interesting shade of turquoise until confirmed.

Next = nested profiles?

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Did the scroll speed in the instances window change also?  (In chrome)

Seems to be a warp speed now.

A minor movement practically does a full scroll.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @tago_kalbri - please submit a pro enhancement request (from the help drop down). There is already an improvement story for that and you should add your name to the list! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • john_mceleneyjohn_mceleney Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    Looking great!!! Seems you're doing something odd and listening to customer requests and fulfilling them??? Genius :)
    : -)
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    @philip_thomas

@tago_kalbri - please submit a pro enhancement request (from the help drop down). There is already an improvement story for that and you should add your name to the list! 

Can you provide a link to the IR?  I did a quick search for it but could not find it.

I want to vote for it.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Woah! Live, Multi-Part Draft Analysis.  :open_mouth:
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @chrisjh777 - I am not exactly sure how Lou is organizing this stuff, but i think that the forum users create the IR's for other users to vote on. While we absolutely do tally up those requests, internally, we have a superset that is recorded in our development platform and Pro users can add their requests (matched and turned into votes) directly from within Onshape. Your best bet would be to create the IR request to let other free (and pro) users vote on. Without helping you too much, you might want to call it "A way to snap ordinate dimensions to horizontal or vertical" ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • david_doellstedtdavid_doellstedt Member Posts: 1
    great job with the lofting tool! This was actually a problem that I encountered recently