Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Subdivide an element

baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
edited May 2017 in Community Support
Hi, 

I have several elements in my drawing that I would like to subdivide in equal subelements. I created a sketch showing the whole element and the goal that is the element composed of subelements ( the size of the sub elements is not equal, but will have to be in the real subdivision). 

Does anybody knows a smart way to do that? If there isn't a standard function I ignored so far, would there be a feature that does the job?

Thanks for help

Markus

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6241cb432116d5696cd40a02/w/08ce71397dea0649f2c253e5/e/4b780ac1d0be3266e6b2eb6a

Best Answers

• baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the hint. Just one follow up question. I have to split an extrude into 40 subparts. 
    is there a way to separate it easily (that is without creating 40 planes and splits) into 40 subparts? Maybe  there is a function or a feature script from someone who had the same demand?

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Try the Split command - you can split a solid using an extruded surface
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the hint. Just one follow up question. I have to split an extrude into 40 subparts. 
    is there a way to separate it easily (that is without creating 40 planes and splits) into 40 subparts? Maybe  there is a function or a feature script from someone who had the same demand?
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hello @baumar

This is the kind of thing that our 'Feature pattern' is for. I've made you an example doc showing how to slice an extruded piece 40 times:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bb912de1a3bb5eace5e4a9af/w/38f1a1db373548e870711bf5/e/e3a738a0358d34ebf0bcb9fe

You can copy this document and double click on the features to see their inputs.  I made heave use of variables, so changing any of the variables at the top of the feature tree should change the model accordingly.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/linearpattern.htm
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/patterns-in-onshape-04-20-17
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Hi Jake, that's terrific, thanks a lot! Now I just have to figure out to use it on my parts...
    Hi Jake, I could successfully adapt your pattern, great stuff!
    Just one little question: I searched where the variables that you defined will be used and I found by chance that clicking in the fields where the value appears that it is referenced with an # like #widthEach. so I can use any variable and use it anywhere in any item I guess?

Another thing I didn't get right is this: Even when I change the width to 50, the whole construction looks the same - though the distance is 5 times bigger. but just now I saw that you can obviously use the variable also in the drawing, is that right? That's awesome, because now you can give it a meaningful name instead of a 'meaningless' number
    Short follow up question: I don't  find the variable Icon in my Part studio, neither in assembly. Is it possible that this feature is not backward compatible?
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

Thanks for the hint, now I can use it, it's really a great feature*.

May I bother you with a follow up question: I now can make the elements that I need, but I end up with an 'opposite' problem: As I still want to construct the whole part (as it was before the splitting) - seen from my current knowledge - I have to add them to the Assembly one by one using the mates... time consuming and a bit monotonous.
    I used a trick that I add the solid element in the Assembly first and split it afterwards in the part studio. This works from the point of view of look, but there is a kind of 'circular reference' between part studio and assembly which is not so good. Much more as I have to use the whole element several times in my design
    It would be better to assemble the parts - in a hopefully easier way, where I would like to get a hint how to - then group it and reuse it in another assembly.

*I guess I will ask to have an option to display the logical name also in the drawing, in some cases I think that would make the drawing to be more descriptive. Would you agree?)

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    PS:

The beginning of this video shows how to bring in an entire Part Studio:
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/assembly-mates
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Hi Jake, actually you're right. I introduced the part studio with the major piece as whole, now I will try to do the same after splitting it up!
    Thanks for the hint!