Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Proposing with an engagement ring designed in Onshape

greg_bejtlichgreg_bejtlich Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 2017 in General
Quick post here. Around 6 months ago I decided that I like my girlfriend enough to put a ring on it. I designed a custom engagement ring in Onshape and approached a local jeweler (Bellman's Jewelers) that specializes in custom jewelry. Since they use wax casting and 3D printing to produce their jewelry; I figured they would be perfect for the job. I immediately took out my phone and showed the jeweler what I wanted using the mobile Onshape app. Bellman's was extremely accommodating and was able to mock up a jeweler friendly model in their native CAD program. Following some design revisions and wax prints, we approved the latest design and proceeded with the final product. Fast forward a couple of months and I've got the perfect ring for my fiancee!

While this was going on... my soon-to-be fiancee had been studying abroad in New Zealand studying Kiwi habitats and restoration. She had been nagging me for months about getting a couples photoshoot to celebrate our 5 year anniversary of dating. I agreed, but only if we could have photos done in New Zealand with a local photographer. After coordinating a secret proposal with the photographer, I flew to New Zealand from New Hampshire and spent 2 weeks together wandering the Northern island. When the time came for our photoshoot, I got down on one knee and popped the question. Thankfully she said yes. :D

You can read a little bit more about the ring and see photos on the Bellman's Facebook Page. As I said in the post, "Without Onshape I would've never been able to model an engagement ring on my laptop, modify it on my tablet, and show it to my jeweler on my phone."

Thanks again Onshape!

Comments

• Dylan_StewartDylan_Stewart Member, Developers Posts: 107 PRO
    WOW!!!!! Congratulations. 
    Digital Engineering
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Beautiful ring!
  • mark_slusermark_sluser Member Posts: 9
    Wow ! that looks incredible ! Good work and congratulations !
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Nice!, you are now my hero.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Congrats, you sound like you know what your doing when it comes to put thought into a proposal.
    I messed my proposal up, and she still reminds me after 11 years.. :) 

Have a great future you two!

P.S. Thanks for sending my down the beyoncé rabbit hole in youtube :)