Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing .SVG Into a Part Studio

Luke_ChaseLuke_Chase Member Posts: 8 EDU
Can you import .SVG files into a plane in a part studio? I need to make something match an image/logo so I converted it to a .SVG, but I can't figure out how to put it into a part studio so I can do an extrude on it.

Best Answer

Answers

• kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    Also, if you want to import the SVG as sketch lines (rather than an image), you can convert to DXF and insert that.
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    Will SVG be supported? It's not like we don't have the math for it. 
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    You can try converting it to dxf/dwg and then importing it
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • place_highplace_high Member Posts: 3
    The online converters all suck, they always mess up part of the graph. Plus DXF are really not popular to export to for typical 2d software, and by default cannot be previewed on Mac/Windows. Can you add direct SVG support?
  • maruelmaruel Member Posts: 3
    I used Inkscape successfully to do the conversion. It is a free open source software.
    1. In Inkscape, Open the SVG
    2. "Save As" with format "Desktop Cutting Plotter (AutoCAD DXF R14) (*.dxf)", then chose "mm" as Base unit and "UTF-8" as Character Encoding.
    3. In OnShape, create a Sketch
    4. "Insert a DXF or DWG file"
    5. Click "Import..." and select your file.
    You should be good to go from there!
  • corey_mcguirecorey_mcguire Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    No one doubts that a powerful intermediate program is a useful workflow.  We are all saying it is an unnecessary workflow. SVG should be supported natively.

I love Inkscape, but inserting it in this workflow is unnecessary. SVG is a 23yo format.
    maruel said:
    I used Inkscape successfully to do the conversion. It is a free open source software.
    1. In Inkscape, Open the SVG
    2. "Save As" with format "Desktop Cutting Plotter (AutoCAD DXF R14) (*.dxf)", then chose "mm" as Base unit and "UTF-8" as Character Encoding.
    3. In OnShape, create a Sketch
    4. "Insert a DXF or DWG file"
    5. Click "Import..." and select your file.
    You should be good to go from there!

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Inkscape also has different file formats available via Export. - Scotty